Service Pack Upgrades (SP1)
The Service Pack can be applied using two different processes please read each option carefully to ensure you select the appropriate method and understand the associated risks with each one.
General Note: Please ensure that Hotfix KB831464 is available prior to upgrading to SP1.
It is important to note that the stores will not mount on the secondary server after the switch at Step 3 until the Service Pack has been applied at Step 5. It should be highlighted that leaving the servers connected during the installation of the service pack exposes the passive server to receiving corrupt data if the application of the service pack fails in any way. Backing up Exchange data, as recommended by Microsoft is absolutely imperative if this approach is taken.
1. Is Hotfix KB831464 installed?
Yes proceed to Step 2.
a) Shutdown Neverfail Heartbeat
b) Install KB831464 on both servers
c) Reboot if prompted otherwise restart Neverfail Heartbeat on both servers.
d) Allow system to synchronize.
2. Install SP1 on the Primary Active Server.
3. Switch wait for Secondary to become Active
WARNING The Exchange stores will not mount because the Service Pack has not been applied to the data but not the Secondary server.
4. Install SP1 on the Secondary Active Server.
5. Mount the Stores.
6. Switch back to the Primary Active.
Option 2 - Recommended
Although it requires more steps to perform the upgrade, it is by far the safer method of installing a Service Pack, and is therefore recommended by Neverfail. It offers the following benefits
a) Exchange data is isolated on each server, ensuring no data corruption can take place.
b) Stores will always mount when the roles are changed.
c) An immediately recoverable server is always available should the service pack cause data corruption or problems with Exchange services. The failed server can then be removed from the Network and services started on the other server.
d) Whilst Microsofts advises backing up data this is less important than in Option 1, although still recommended.
e) This approach is quicker especially in a WAN where a large amount of data needs to be verified.
The extra time spent performing the upgrade easily outweighs the benefits and the minimal recovery time should disaster strike.
1. Via the Management GUI switch and wait for Secondary to become Active.
2. Shutdown Neverfail Heartbeat leave application running.
Dismount Exchange stores via Exchange System Manager.
3. Is Hotfix KB831464 installed?
Yes proceed to step 4.
a) Install KB831464 on both servers
b) Reboot if required
c) After reboot start the Management GUI
d) When Exchange has started exit Neverfail Heartbeat and leave the application running.
4. Install SP1 on the Secondary Server.
5. Verify Exchange is operational and stores mount.
6. Stop Exchange
7. Launch Config Wizard
8. Change role to Secondary Passive.
9. Via the Service Control Manager start Neverfail Heartbeat on the Secondary Server.
Then stop the Neverfail Heartbeat Service.
On the Primary Server
10. Launch Config Wizard.
11. Change role to Primary Active.
12. Start Neverfail Heartbeat.
13. When Exchange has started shutdown Neverfail Heartbeat leaving the application running.
14. Install SP1 on the Primary Server.
15. Verify Exchange is operational.
16. Start Neverfail Heartbeat on the Primary Server.
17. Start Neverfail Heartbeat on the Secondary Server.
18. Start Management Client and check that the system completes full system check.