This Knowledgebase article provides information for users upgrading to Neverfail Heartbeat V4.6.1 or V4.6.2 from V4.4 or V4.5.
If you are already running V4.6.1 and wish to upgrade to V4.6.2 please see Knowledgebase article 487 "How to upgrade from Neverfail Heartbeat V4.6.1 using the V4.6.2 Service Pack " for details on how to upgrade from this version using the service pack.
Note: To upgrade from any older versions e.g. V3.x Neverfail Heartbeat must be completely uninstalled from the server pair before continuing with the installation of V4.6.1 or V4.6.2 and re-installed according to the reference guide contained in the downloadable kit. Please also make sure that all previously protected services are set back to "Automatic" and started from within the Microsoft Windows services management console.
Neverfail Heartbeat version 4.6.1 and 4.6.2 contain a number of enhancements to the product. For further details please see Knowledgebase articles 454 and 488 respectively.
BEFORE YOU BEGIN:
- Please ensure you have read and fully understood the instructions below BEFORE attempting to install the update.
- It is necessary to reboot both servers during the upgrade process, as Neverfail Heartbeat drivers are updated on both Active and Passive servers; so a small amount of downtime will be incurred. You may wish to schedule other maintenance or updates at the same time. Please contact Neverfail support for advice.
To upgrade to Neverfail Heartbeat version V4.6.1, complete the steps below:
On a remote client PC, or the ACTIVE server, as appropriate:
1. Download Z-Sw-H-V4.6.1.zip or Z-Sw-H-V4.6.2.zip from the appropriate product area of the Neverfail Partner Extranet and extract the contents to a folder. Copy this folder (referred to below as the 'update kit' folder) to both of the servers in your Neverfail pair, and to any remote client PCs running the Neverfail Heartbeat Management Client.
2. Shutdown Neverfail Heartbeat selecting the option to 'Exit Neverfail Heartbeat but leave protected applications running'.
3. Close all remaining instances of the Neverfail Server Pairs Overview window.
4. On the active server (normally the Primary):
Note: These steps will backup important Neverfail Heartbeat server configuration information. Some of this information is used to complete the overall upgrade process of a specific server pair.
- Backup, Clearly label and save to a safe location any Start/Stop Scripts present in %installdir%\R2\Scripts\%applicationname%.
- Export the following registry information and save to a safe location. (1) "HKLM/Software/Neverfail",(2) "HKLM/Software/Javasoft" and (3)"HKLM/Software/Javasoft/Prefs/Neverfail/Current/Interceptor/Filters" to separate .reg files.
The following steps are required.
- Uninstall Neverfail Heartbeat. (Start > Programs > Neverfail > Uninstall)
- Select the option ‘Leave this server on the network after uninstall’
- For the remaining steps follow the instructions on the screen.
You will be asked to reboot this server to complete the uninstall. Note: At this point you may wish to upgrade or update the Primary server before starting the Neverfail Heartbeat installation process which will clone and restore this server to the Secondary.
Note: The following procedure contains a reference to the Reference Guide (this is included in the downloadable zip file from the Neverfail Extranet). From this point the upgrade will continue like a normal installation by creating a newly cloned Secondary server.
5. To install the new version of Neverfail Heartbeat on this server:
- Run the Setup.exe program from the kit folder in step 1.
- Following the instructions in the Reference Guide install the new version of Neverfail Heartbeat. Note: If you are upgrading Neverfail for File Server, the Server service must be started on the Secondary server before it will be possible to map a drive for the backup phase.
- Add any AMX/s as required when prompted by the installation.
- Do not start Heartbeat at the moment.
Note: If you have installed the Neverfail Heartbeat Management Client on another computer e.g. your desktop computer this must now also be updated to the latest version.
6. Restore original configuration to both servers in the server pair.
If Neverfail Heartbeat has started on either server, Heartbeat should be shutdown completely before continuing with this stage.
- Restore the scripts that were backed up in step 4 to their original location on both Primary and Secondary as required. This will restore the original scripts used to start and stop applications before upgrading.
- Restore only the (3) .reg file from step 4 to both servers. This will restore all previous File Filters configured in Neverfail Heartbeat. WARNING: Do not restore (1) and (2) .reg files on the primary or secondary server. These files are for backup purposes only and are not required to complete the upgrade.
7. Start Neverfail Heartbeat on the passive server, and then on the active server.
8. On a remote client PC, or the ACTIVE server, as appropriate, use the Neverfail Heartbeat Management Client to check that the Neverfail Channel is connected and that a full system check is in progress.