This Knowledgebase article explains the protection offered by this particular AM(X). There is a sister article ( Knowledgebase article #534 - 'Neverfail for BlackBerry Enterprise Server - Application Module - Versions') that lists all the versions of the AM(X) that Neverfail has produced so far and the versions of related supported software; there are links from that sister article to articles that explain the unique features of each version.
The Neverfail for BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES) solution is a server application that is capable of pushing email to mobile devices. It can be installed in either a Microsoft Exchange or Lotus Domino Environment. The AM(X) protects the BlackBerry services and program files. It supports installs with either:
- Remote SQL Server database, or
- Local MSDE or SQL Server database - requires Neverfail for SQL Server AM to be installed as well.
If BlackBerry Enterprise Server for Lotus Domino is installed then Neverfail for Lotus Domino AM(X) is required.
From version 2007-05-31 onwards, the AM(X) offers protection for stand-alone deployments of the MDS (Mobile Data Systems) Application Server.
This is a list of all services protected by this AM(X). Please note that where an AM(X) supports multiple vendor versions, some services may not be present in a particular version.
- BlackBerry Server Alert
- BlackBerry Attachment Service (BBAttachServer)
- BlackBerry Database Consistency Service
- BlackBerry Controller
- Blackberry Dispatcher
- BlackBerry Policy Service
- BlackBerry Mobile Data Service
- BlackBerry Collaboration Service
- BlackBerry Router
- BlackBerry SyncServer
- BlackBerry MDS Connection Service
- BlackBerry Instant Messaging Connector
- Message Queuing Windows Component (MSMQ)
- BlackBerry User Administration Service (BESUserAdminService)
Note for BlackBerry version 3.6: it is possible to have different BES instances installed on the same server. Each instance will have a copy of its own configuration database.
- BlackBerry Mobile Data $instance
- BlackBerry Server $instance
When the AM(X) is installed, all protected services will be set to manual unless otherwise stated.
This is a description of the protected data set that was determined at AM(X) install time. Please note that exact filters will be based on the configuration of the application at the moment that the AM(X) was installed.
- Protects all registry data
- Protects the BlackBerry program files and all the necessary configuration information, including the Licensing information
- Protects the Jakarta Tomcat configuration information
- From version 2007-05-31 onwards, the AM(X) protects the BlackBerry User Administration Service, data files, logs, and configuration information.
Automatic Filter Discovery
The AM(X) does not provide a filter discovery component. The AM(X) will need to be reinstalled according to Knowledgebase article #462 - 'How to upgrade or reinstall an Application Module to protect previously unprotected features' if the application is reconfigured in such a way that new locations are specified for files that are currently protected.
Unsupported Features or ComponentsThe AM(X) does not protect the following application features or components:
Certain changes to the settings of BlackBerry Enterprise Server are not replicated to the Passive server.
- BlackBerry Management Console settings
- Database Authentication type or Log Database Calls Settings
- Serial Port configuration
- MAPI Profile Configuration GUI settings are not replicated to the Passive server.
For more information about this known behavior, please refer to Knowledgebase article #893 - 'Configuration settings not replicated by Neverfail for BlackBerry Enterprise Server V4.0 and V4.1'.