This Knowledgebase article explains the protection offered by Neverfail for File Server. There is a sister article ( Knowledgebase article #538 - 'File Server – Application Module – Versions') that lists all the versions of the AM(X) that have been produced to date and the versions of related supported software. In addition, there are links from that sister article to articles that explain the unique features of each version.
Neverfail for File Server automatically configures protection for all of your file shares as they are created, edited, or deleted. The AM(X) protects all the services required for the File Server and all the file shares discovered at install time and during normal operation (including all security settings, user rights and file properties).The contents of this article apply for both x86 (32-bit) and x86-64 (64-bit) platforms. The IA-64 Itanium platform is not supported.
This is a list of all services protected by this AM(X). Please note that where an AM(X) supports multiple vendor versions, some services may not be present in a particular version.
- Server (lanmanserver) (for version 2005-08-15 onwards)
- Computer Browser (Browser) (up to and including version 2005-08-15 of the AM(X))
- Distributed File System (DFS) (up to and including version 2005-08-15 of the AM(X))
When the AM(X) is installed, all protected services will be set to manual unless otherwise stated.
This is a description of the protected data set that was determined at AM(X) install time. Please note that exact filters will be based on the configuration of the application at the moment that the AM(X) was installed.
- All registry data relating to file shares
- All the file shares, including specific security settings and user rights
Automatic Filter Discovery
The AM(X) does provide a filter discovery component. The Automatic Filter Discovery runs every 2 minutes.
- Protects all the newly created shares
Reconfigures the file filters when removing specific shares
Note: The C$ and Admin$ shares will be vetoed during discovery.
Unsupported Components or Features
The AM(X) does not protect the following application features or components:
- For unsupported features of the Windows NTFS File System please refer to Knowledgebase article #321 - 'Neverfail for File Server: Unprotected Features of the Windows NTFS File System'.
- Neverfail for File Server is not supported in a Windows Workgroup environment – please refer to Knowledgebase article #391 - 'Neverfail for File Server is not supported in a Microsoft Windows workgroup environment' for more information.