This Knowledgebase article explains the protection offered by this particular AM(X). There is a sister article ( Knowledgebase article #549 - 'McAfee GroupShield for Exchange – Application Module eXtension – Versions') that lists all the versions of the AM(X) that we have produced to date and the versions of related supported software. In addition, there are links from that sister article to articles that explain the unique features of each version.
Please take care to distinguish between McAfee GroupShield for Lotus Domino (see Knowledgebase article #874 - 'McAfee GroupShield for Lotus Domino – Application Module eXtension – Feature List') and McAfee GroupShield for Exchange (this article).
McAfee GroupShield for Exchange is a mail scanning solution for Microsoft Exchange servers. The AM(X) protects all the McAfee services, the registry and the configuration information.
This is a list of all services protected by this AM(X). Please note that where an AM(X) supports multiple vendor versions, some services may not be present in a particular version.
- McAfee Alert Manager (AlertManager)
- McAfee Framework Service (McAfeeFramwork)
- McAfee GroupShield
- McAfee Log Service (Network Associates Log Service)
- McAfee Outbreak Manager (Outbreak Manager)
All the services are monitored through the monitor script and are left running on both servers. The startup type is left to default for all the protected services.
This is a description of the protected data set that was determined at AM(X) install time. Please note that exact filters will be based on the configuration of the application at the moment that the AM(X) was installed.
- All registry data
- All configuration information required.
Automatic Filter Discovery
The AM(X) does not provide a filter discovery component. The AMX will need to be reinstalled according to Knowledgebase article #462 - 'How to upgrade or reinstall an Application Module to protect previously unprotected features' if the application is reconfigured in such a way that new locations are specified for files that are currently protected.
Unsupported Components or Features
The AM(X) does not protect the following application features or components:
- The DAT Files (virus definitions) are not replicated because of the potential presence of McAfee(R) VirusScan(R) Enterprise (File Level Anti Virus product). A management IP on the passive server will be required to enable these updates to take place. Please consult the product’s ReadMe.txt file for installation instructions.
- From version 2007-01-26 of the AM(X) onwards, the McAfee debug log is no longer protected.