This Knowledgebase article explains the protection offered by Neverfail for SharePoint. There is a sister article ( Knowledgebase article #557 - 'Neverfail for SharePoint – Application Module – Versions') that lists all the versions of the AM(X) that we have produced to date and the versions of related supported software; there are links from that sister article to articles that explain the unique features of each version.
Please note that this article refers to fully released versions of Neverfail for SharePoint only, the minor, controlled releases of the AM for SharePoint on 2006-12-11 and 2006-12-12 have now been withdrawn.
The Neverfail for SharePoint Portal Server is delivered as an AMX for the IIS Server because an AMX is technically installed with an AM, not the application being protected, and offers protection for the SharePoint components installed on the IIS Server. If SharePoint is installed with a local SQL Server database, then the Neverfail for SQL Server should be installed as well.
For details on Neverfail for IIS, please refer to Knowledgebase article #655 - 'Neverfail for IIS – Application Module – Feature List'. The Details below include the specific service and data protection for the SharePoint Portal Server.
This is a list of all services protected by this AM(X). Please note that where an AM(X) supports multiple vendor versions, some services may not be present in a particular version.
- Microsoft SharePointPS Search
- Microsoft Single Sign-on Service
- SharePoint Portal Administration
- SharePoint Portal Alert
- SharePoint Timer Service
- SharePoint MSDE
- Windows SharePoint Services Timer
SharePoint 2007 services:
- Office Document Conversions Launcher Service (DCLauncher)
- Office Document Conversions Load Balancer Server (DCLoadBalancer)
- Office SharePoint Server Search (OSearch)
- Windows SharePoint Services Administration (SPAdmin)
- Windows SharePoint Services Search (SPSearch)
- Windows SharePoint Services Tracing (SPTrace)
- Windows SharePoint Services VSS Writer (SPWriter)
- Microsoft Single Sign-on Service (Ssosrv)
When the AM is installed, all protected services will be set to manual unless otherwise stated.
This is a description of the protected data set determined when the AM(X) was installed. Please note that exact filters will be based on the configuration of the application of the AM(X) during install.
- All registry data pertinent to SharePoint Portal Server including configuration, security, and cryptography keys
- Web Server Extensions for SharePoint
- Data Path
- Template Path
- SharePoint Search Data Directory
- SharePoint Default Application Path
- From version 2007-04-30 onwards of the AMX, the Web Parts are protected
- From version 2007-06-18 onwards of the AMX, Language Packs installed in the default location
Automatic Filter Discovery
The AM(X) does not provide a filter discovery component but new web sites are protected by Neverfail for IIS.
Unsupported Components or Features
The AM(X) does not protect the following application features or components:
- Backward Compatible Document Library. Please refer to Knowledgebase article #418 - 'Neverfail for SharePoint AM(X) does not support the Backward Compatible Document Library' for detailed information.
- This AMX does not protect SharePoint backup locations as these are configured on a case-by-case basis. For this reason Neverfail recommends dedicating a specific directory to backups and then manually creating a filter for this directory in the Neverfail Heartbeat Management Client – please refer to Knowledgebase article #850 - 'How to specify or adjust filters manually', for instructions on adding new file filters.
Please note: If a filter is not specified for the backup location when the Secondary server becomes active, the SharePoint Administration Page will list the backups but they will not be available.
- From version 2007-04-30 onwards of the AMX, the SharePoint Index Catalog location is not protected by default. For protecting the SharePoint Index Catalog location, please refer to Knowledgebase article #1210 - 'How to Add Protection for the Index Catalog with Neverfail for SharePoint'.
- SharePoint 2007 Add-on Pack is not supported.
- RSS Feeds are not supported.