This Knowledgebase article explains the protection offered by Trend Micro ScanMail AM(X). A sister article ( Knowledgebase article #562 - 'Trend Micro ScanMail – Application Module eXtension – Versions') lists all the versions of the AM(X) that we have produced to date and the versions of related supported software. In addition, there are links from that sister article to articles that explain the unique features of each version.
Trend Micro ScanMail is an anti-virus solution for the Microsoft Exchange Server. The AM(X) protects all the configuration information required by the anti-virus, the anti-virus engine files, and the ScanMail services. For version 7 of Trend Micro ScanMail, Neverfail for IIS will be required to protect Trend's Virtual Directory in IIS.
This is a list of all services protected by this AM(X). Please note that where an AM(X) supports multiple vendor versions, some services may not be present in a particular version.
- ScanMail for Microsoft Exchange (ScanMail_Master)
- ScanMail for Microsoft Exchange Remote Configuration Server (ScanMail_RemoteConfig)
- ScanMail for Microsoft Exchange System Watcher (ScanMail_SystemWatcher)
From version 2007-05-25 of the AMX onwards, for version 8.0 of Trend Micro ScanMail for MS Exchange 2007 (x64) the SQL Express Instance services pertinent to ScanMail will be protected.
- SQL Server (SCANMAIL) - (MSSQL$SCANMAIL)
- SQL Server VSS Writer - (SQLWriter)
- SQL Server Browser - (SQL Browser)
When the AM(X) is installed, all protected services will be set to manual unless otherwise stated.
This is a description of the protected data set that was determined when the AM(X) was installed. Please note that exact filters will be based on the configuration of the application when the AM(X) was installed.
- All registry data and configuration information;
- All the program files, including the scan engine files and the reports.
- From version 2007-05-25 of the AMX onwards, for version 8.0 of Trend Micro ScanMail for MS Exchange 2007 (x64) the SQL Express Instance database and log files pertinent to ScanMail will be protected. The specific filters will be based on the configuration discovered at install time.
Automatic Filter Discovery
The AM(X) does not provide a filter discovery component. The AM(X) will need to be reinstalled according to Knowledgebase article #462 - 'to upgrade or reinstall an Application Module to protect previously unprotected features' if the application is reconfigured so that new locations are specified for files that are currently protected.
Unsupported Components or Features
The AM(X) does not protect the following application features or components:
- Trend Micro ScanMail version 7 web site configuration is stored in an IIS Virtual Directory. Changes made in the IIS Manager Snap-in will not be replicated (please refer to Knowledgebase article #436 - 'The Trend Micro Scan Mail SMEX Web Site is Unavailable After a Switch') unless Neverfail for IIS has been installed.
As Indicated Above