This Knowledgebase article provides release information about this specific version of Neverfail Heartbeat.
Neverfail Heartbeat release V5.0 offers improved system reliability and performance over previous versions of the software. Improvements and changes are detailed by component below. The information contained in this Knowledgebase article is identical to the information contained in Knowledgebase article #718 - 'Neverfail Heartbeat V5.0.1 - Release Notes'.
Release Notes for:
Neverfail Heartbeat V5.0
System Tray Icon - Standard Windows 2003 'balloon' notifications are now launched by the Neverfail Heartbeat System Tray icon. These replace the interactive dialogue boxes used in previous versions of Heartbeat. Balloon notifications are visible both from a local terminal and during Terminal Services sessions, giving up-to-the-minute status information on the health and activity of your Heartbeat server pair.
- File State Manager (FSM) - Enhanced FSM performance logging. More detailed stats are available in NFLog.txt. This extra data is primarily for support purposes.
- Interceptor Component - Reduced need to reboot system following unclean shutdown of Neverfail Heartbeat. In certain situations, due to an unclean exit of Neverfail Heartbeat, a restart of the affected server would be necessary. Changes have been introduced to reduce the likelihood of a reboot being required.
- Setup - Improved reporting of uninstall problem items. During an uninstall of Neverfail Heartbeat, some files could fail to uninstall successfully, for a variety of reasons. Handling of such files and status reporting for uninstall issues have both been improved.
- File State Manager (FSM) - Improved resilience during a stop of the FSM. Under certain conditions, the FSM could pause while stopping. Handling of this issue has been improved.
- CommsMgr - Improved handling during a Stop or Shutdown operation. Under certain conditions, the CommsMgr would pause while stopping. Handling of this issue has been improved.
- CommsMgr - Improved handling of Replication Stop or Switchover. In very rare circumstances, a Replication Stop or Switchover would not complete. This could happen if the CommsMgr generated an exception while sending data. Handling of this issue has now been improved.
Technical Documents supporting this version of Neverfail Heartbeat are contained in Knowledgebase article #580 - 'V5.0[.n] Neverfail Heartbeat Technical Documentation'.
Installation instructions are found in Neverfail Heartbeat - Technical Documentation - Reference Guide V5.0 .
Upgrading to Neverfail Heartbeat V5.0
This release includes a Service Pack for upgrading from Neverfail Heartbeat V4.6.x and V4.7.x. to V5.0. See Knowledgebase article #716 - 'How to Upgrade to Neverfail Heartbeat V5.0.1' for details. The upgrade process is the same for both V5.0 and V5.0.1.
Neverfail Heartbeat V5.0