This Knowledgebase article provides the step-by-step procedure necessary to replace a Windows 2003 server.
- The Operating System is installed on the C:\ drive.
- Neverfail is installed on the C:\ drive.
- Neverfail is installed in a LAN environment.
- The Secondary server will be replaced.
The replacement server meets the documented prerequisites for Neverfail installation (for example, ACPI compliance with the other servers)
NOTE: See the Neverfail Heartbeat Installation Guide for more information about hardware requirements for Secondary and Tertiary servers.
Before You Begin
- Read this entire article before performing any steps.
- Identify the server that needs to be replaced. The identity of this server is referred to as TO_BE_REPLACED throughout in this document.
- Identify the Active server. The identity of this server is referred to as TO_BE_BACKEDUP throughout this document.
- Open the Neverfail Heartbeat Management Client, click Data and select the Configuration tab. Make a note (in a file or on a piece of paper) of all replication filters.
On the Active Server:
- Shutdown Neverfail Heartbeat.
- Set the Neverfail Server R2 service to Manual using the Windows Service Control Manager.
- Write down the identity of this server.
Open the Neverfail Heartbeat Configure Server wizard.
- Select the Machine tab.
Physical Hardware Identity
of the server scheduled for replacement to TO_BE_REPLACED (defined above).
WARNING ! Do not change the Server Identity in any situation other than this.
Note: This step applies only for Neverfail Heartbeat v5.5.1 and Prior
- Click Finish .
- Perform a complete search of the C:\ drive for *.DMP and delete all existing .DMP files. Empty these files from the Recycle bin as well.
- Select the entire C:\ drive and any other directories on a different drive that include program files of the protected application(s).
- Clear (deselect) any directories that are already part of the replication set.
- Select System State .
- Select a local location for the backup file.
- After the backup is complete, run the Neverfail Heartbeat Configure Server wizard again.
- Select the Machine tab.
- Change Physical Hardware Identity to TO_BE_BACKEDUP (defined above).
- Change the Current Role to Active .
- Click Finish .
- In the task bar, right-click the Neverfail Heartbeat Server icon and select Start Neverfail Heartbeat .
- Log into the Neverfail Heartbeat Management Client. Select the option to Stop replication but leave the Protected Application running .
- Set the Neverfail Server R2 service to Automatic using the Windows Service Control Manager.
On the New Server (the Replacement):
- Copy the backup file from the Active server.
- Disconnect the Principal (Public) and Channel cables from the server.
- Navigate to Tools > Options .
- Select the Restore tab.
- Select Always replace files on my computer and click Apply .
- Select the Restore and Manage Media tab.
- Right-click File in the left hand pane and select Catalog File .
- Browse to and select the backup file that was copied from the Active server.
- Expand the tree under the cataloged file and select all the backed up data (such as C:\ drive, System state).
- Click Start Restore . A warning message is displayed. Click OK to dismiss the warning.
- Click OK to start the restore.
- Restart the server after the restore process is complete.
- Allow Plug and Play continue and restart the server if prompted.
- In the Properties window of each network card, verify that the IP address settings are correct and the Neverfail Heartbeat Packet Filter is enabled for the Principal (Public) network connection and disabled for all channel connections.
- On the Machine tab of the Neverfail Heartbeat Configure Server wizard, verify that the Identity and Active Server are configured correctly.
On the Public tab of the Neverfail Heartbeat Configure Server wizard, verify that the Public IP is correct.
Use the 'route print' command to check that all WAN routes are correctly configured.
NOTE: It may be necessary to re-authenticate Windows
When replacing a Primary server and using Neverfail Heartbeat v5.5.[n] or earlier, follow these steps:
( These steps do not apply to Neverfail Heartbeat V6.0 and more recent. )
- Follow the instructions in Knowledgebase Article #1255 — How to request a license key for Neverfail Heartbeat using SCOPE Data Collector Service V4.1 and later to obtain a new license key.
- Select the License tab in the Configure Server wizard and replace the old license with the new one.
- Connect the Principal (Public) and Channel network cables.
- In the task bar, right click the Neverfail Heartbeat Server icon and start Neverfail Heartbeat.
Log into the Neverfail Heartbeat Management Client and start replication.
- Set Neverfail Server R2 service to Automatic using the Windows Service Control Manager.
Knowledgebase Article #1816 — How to Replace a Windows 2000 Server
Knowledgebase Article #1774 — How to Replace a Windows 2008 Server