This Knowledgebase article provides information about the improvements available in Neverfail Heartbeat V4.3.3.
To upgrade to Neverfail Heartbeat V4.3.3, please follow the instructions in Knowledgebase article #348 - 'How to upgrade Neverfail Heartbeat V4.x to V4.3.3'.
The main improvements over previous versions of Neverfail Heartbeat are as follows:
- Windows 2003 Service Pack 1 is now supported.
- On Windows 2003 SP1, use of the /3GB switch in the Boot.ini file is now supported.
- The Unsafe (active) Updates Queue on the active server is now stored on disk if Low Bandwidth Optimization is licensed and enabled, improving performance in a WAN environment during periods of increased system load. This feature is configurable; please see Knowledgebase article #349 - 'Enabling Active (Unsafe) Queues in Memory for WAN Environments with the Low Bandwidth Module enabled'.
Items that are supported from Neverfail Heartbeat v4.3 onwards:
- Compressed files/folders.
- The read-only attribute on files/folders.
- Security descriptors on files/folders.
- Directory Shares.
In addition, although Reparse Points are not specifically supported, Windows 2003 DFS (Distributed File System) Links are also replicated from V4.3 onwards.
Resolution of Know Issues
Overall reliability has been improved through the resolution of a variety of known issues, which affected Neverfail Heartbeat releases prior to V4.3.3. These enhancements and fixes are mainly targeted at improving resource handling and overall robustness. In particular, the following issues have been addressed:
- Replication of files whose permissions exclude the SYSTEM account is now handled robustly. In previous versions of Neverfail Heartbeat, setting file permissions, which excluded the SYSTEM account, either implicitly or explicitly, could result in warnings from the passive server that Neverfail Heartbeat was unable to access the affected files, preventing correct replication of data, file attributes, and permissions for those files.
- On Windows 2003 only, during a Volume Shadow Copy (VSS) snapshot, the NonPagedPool memory could become exhausted. In some cases, this could lead to either Neverfail Heartbeat or VSS becoming deadlocked.
Neverfail Heartbeat V4.3.3