This Knowledgebase article explains the protection offered by Sophos PureMessage for Exchange AM(X). A sister article, Knowledgebase article #559 - 'Sophos PureMessage for Exchange – Application Module eXtension – Versions', lists all the versions of the AM(X) that we have produced to date and the versions of related supported software. Additionally, there are links from that sister article to articles that explain the unique features of each version.
Sophos PureMessage for Exchange is a Microsoft Exchange anti-virus tool comprised of three components: Microsoft Exchange anti-virus protection, application-level anti-spam protection for Microsoft Exchange, and the Sophos On-Access File Level anti-virus scanning. The AM(X) does not protect the Sophos On-Access File Level component.
Sophos PureMessage stores all quarantined files in a database. If the Quarantine database is stored locally on the server, then it can be protected using the Neverfail for SQL Server AM.
This is a list of all services protected by this AM(X). Please note that where an AM(X) supports multiple vendor versions, some services may not be present in a particular version.
The Sophos PureMessage services are monitored and controlled by the start / stop scripts. When the AM(X) is installed, all protected services will be set to manual unless otherwise stated.
The following services compose the Sophos PureMessage Exchange anti-virus:
- Sophos PureMessage Running Object Table (ROT) (MMRot)
- Sophos PureMessage (Savexsrvc)
The other three services used by the File Level Scanning Components, also are present on the server:
- Sophos Autoupdate Service - Manual (left as default)
- Sophos Administrative Service (SAVAdminService) - Automatic
- Sophos Anti-virus Service (SAVService) - Automatic
The Autoupdate Service is also monitored and started using the start script. It is left on the default start-up, which is manual.
This is a description of the protected data set that was determined when the AM(X) was installed. Please note that exact filters will be based on the configuration of the application AM(X) during installation.
File filters data:
- Protects the Sophos PureMessage configuration data and logs.
- The AM(X) protects all the registry information stored for Sophos anti-virus product suite.
Automatic Filter Discovery
The AM(X) does not provide a filter discovery component. The AM(X) will need to be reinstalled according to Knowledgebase article #462 - 'How to Upgrade or Reinstall an Application Module to Protect Previously Unprotected Features' if the application is reconfigured so that new locations are specified for files that are currently protected.
Unsupported Components or Features
The AM(X) does not protect the following application features or components:
- Does not control the Sophos File Level anti-virus services.
- Does not protect the Sophos File Level anti-virus configuration files because these are in use on the passive server.
- Does not protect the Auto Update directory because this will be in use on the Passive server (File Level Components will be running).