About Neverfail for IIS Plug-in
Neverfail for IIS proactively monitors and protects your IIS environment, looking for changes to web, FTP, NNTP, and SMTP sites. This plug-in protects the IIS services, content and system configuration.Supported Versions of Microsoft Internet Information Security Server
Please consult the Plug-in Release Notes for details of versions and platforms supported by each plug-in version. For a listing of all version of this plug-in, see Knowledgebase article #547 - IIS – Application Module/Plug-in – Versions .
- IIS 6.0 on Windows 2003
- IIS Server 7.0 on Windows 2008
- IIS 7.5 on Windows 2008 R2
- IIS 8.0 on Windows 2012 Std / Datacenter
Supported Components & Features
This is a list of all services protected by this plug-in. Please note that where a plug-in supports multiple vendor versions, some services may not be present in a particular version.
- ASP .NET State Service (aspnet_state) (Windows 2003 only)
- Task Scheduler (schedule)
- Microsoft IIS FTP Service (msftpsvc - IIS7.0 or lower, ftpsvc - IIS 7.5 or higher)
- HTTP (Windows 2003 only)
- HTTP SSL (Httpfilter) (Windows 2003 only)
- IIS Admin Service (IISAdmin)
- Microsoft POP3 Service (pop3svc)
- Network News Transfer Protocol (nntpsvc)
- World Wide Web Publishing Service (w3svc)
- Simple Mail Transport Protocol (smtpsvc)
- Indexing Service (cisvc)
- IIS Application Host Helper Service (AppHostSvc)
- Windows Process Activation Service (WAS)
- IIS Web Management Service (WMSvc)
- SQL Server Reporting Services (reportserver - only if SQL Server is present)
When the plug-in is installed, all protected services will be set to manual unless otherwise stated.
Application and Performance Monitoring
Neverfail for IIS monitors web sites continuously ensuring that web sites are available and responding within configurable defined parameters. The Neverfail for IIS Plug-in uses 'Rules' to define parameters and can take action should a check reveal results outside of the defined parameters.
Rules - This plug-in provides the following 'Rules'.
- Check Website Availability - configure a full URL and if required TCP Port
- Check Website Response Time - configure a full URL and the expected response time
Supported authentication methods include - the default anonymous, Windows Authentication, username or domain\username and password.
Tasks - The only configurable parameter for 'Tasks' associated with this plug-in is the frequency in which to run although custom User defined 'Tasks' can be defined.
Please note that exact filters will depend upon the configuration of the application when the plug-in is installed
- All registry data relevant to IIS
- Metabase and associated files
The Inetpub directory, which includes:
- Default Web Root relating to the W3Svc
- Default FTP Site location
- Default SMTP Site location
- Default NNTP Site location
- Default IIS Site Logs (can be disabled)
- IIS Certificates (chained certificates are supported)
If a previously protected web site is deleted from within the IIS Admin Console, then the filters relating to the web site will be removed from the protected set automatically.
Automatic Filter Discovery
This plug-in provides a filter discovery component that queries the configuration of IIS and automatically creates filters for newly created sites and virtual directions. The Automatic Filter Discovery component is configurable and runs every 2 minutes by default.
- Detects newly created IIS Web, FTP, NNTP, and SMTP sites and adds appropriate filters for the site data
- Detects newly created IIS Virtual Web, FTP, NNTP, and SMTP Sites and adds appropriate filters for the site data
- If enabled, log protection will add filters for site logs for Web, FTP, NNTP, and SMTP sites
Unsupported Components and Features
This plug-in does not protect the following application features or components:
- Web Printers
- Replication of locally created users – affects FTP, POP3, Web
- Server appliance web or web admin directories
- The setting for the 'maximum number of items for newsgroup' is not protected
Neverfail for IIS Plug-in versions 201.5.3, 201.5.4, 201.5.5