This Knowledgebase article explains the protection offered by the Plug-in for Sophos PureMessage for Exchange. A sister article, Knowledgebase article #559 - 'Plug-in for Sophos PureMessage for Exchange – Versions', lists all the versions of the AM(X)/Plug-in produced to date and the versions of related supported software. Additionally, there are links from that sister article to articles that explain the unique features of each version.
About Sophos PureMessage for ExchangeSophos PureMessage for Exchange is a Microsoft Exchange anti-virus tool comprised of three components: Microsoft Exchange anti-virus protection, application-level anti-spam protection for Microsoft Exchange, and the Sophos On-Access File Level anti-virus scanning. This plug-in does not protect the Sophos On-Access File Level component.
Sophos PureMessage stores all quarantined files in a database. If the Quarantine database is stored locally on the server, but the SQL instance used is not named "SOPHOS", then it can be protected using the Neverfail for SQL Server Plug-in. The "SOPHOS" instance is protected by the Sohpos plug-in.Supported Versions
The following versions of Sophos PureMessage for Exchange are supported in respect to the hardware platform:
x86 Platform (32-bit hardware)
- V2.5 on Microsoft Exchange 2003
- V2.6 on Microsoft Exchange 2003
- V3.0 on Microsoft Exchange 2003
x64 Platform (64-bit hardware)
- V3.0 on Microsoft Exchange 2007
This is a list of all services protected by this plug-in. Please note that where a plug-in supports multiple vendor versions, some services may not be present in a particular version.
The Sophos PureMessage services are monitored and controlled by the plug-in. When the plug-in is installed, all protected services will be set to 'Manual' unless otherwise stated.
The following services compose the Sophos PureMessage for Exchange anti-virus:
- Sophos PureMessage Running Object Table (ROT) (MMRot) - Manual
- Sophos PureMessage (Savexsrvc) - Manual
- Sophos PureMessage (SavexWebAgent) - Manual
- Sophos PureMessage Scanner (PMScanner) - Manual
The other services, used by the File Level Scanning Components, also are present on the server:
- Sophos Autoupdate Service - Manual
- Sophos Administrative Service (SAVAdminService) - Manual
- Sophos Anti-virus Service (SAVService) - Manual
The Autoupdate Service is also monitored and started via the plug-in. It is left on the default start-up, which is 'Manual'.
As the plug-in protects the default Sophos instance, the following services are also protected ONLY if the SQL instance "SOPHOS" exists:
- SQL Server (SOPHOS) (MSSQL$SOPHOS)
- Distributed Transactions Coordinator (MSDTC)
- SQL Server Browser (SQLBrowser)
- SQLAgent$SOPHOS (SQLAgent$SOPHOS)
- Task Scheduler (Schedule)
This is a description of the protected data set that was determined when the plug-in was installed. Please note that exact filters will be based on the configuration of the application plug-in during installation.
File filters data:
- Protects the Sophos PureMessage for Exchange configuration data and logs.
- This plug-in protects all the registry information stored for the Sophos anti-virus product suite.
Automatic Filter Discovery
This plug-in does not provide a filter discovery component. The plug-in will need to be reinstalled using the procedures to uninstall and reinstall a plug-in included in Knowledgebase article #1512 - 'Plug-in for Sophos PureMessage for Exchange - Online Help' if the application is reconfigured so that new locations are specified for files that are currently protected.
Unsupported Components or Features
The plug-in does not protect the following application features or components:
- Does not control the Sophos File Level anti-virus services.
- Does not protect the Sophos File Level anti-virus configuration files because these are in use on the passive server.
- Does not protect the Auto Update directory because this will be in use on the passive server (File Level Components will be running).
Plug-in for Sophos PureMessage for Exchange V201.5.1 and Later