About the Plug-in for Symantec Mail Security for Exchange
Symantec Information Foundation Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange (formally Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange) provides anti-virus and anti-spam mail scanning for Microsoft Exchange 2003 and Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 and works on 32-bit and 64-bit platforms. This plug-in protects the Symantec Mail Security services and server configuration running on the File Level anti-virus product from this vendor.Supported Versions of Microsoft Windows
x86 Platform (32-bit hardware)
- Microsoft Exchange 2003
x64 / Intel 64 Platform (64-bit hardware)
- Microsoft Exchange 2007
- Microsoft Exchange 2010
The IA-64 Itanium Platform is not supported.
Supported Versions of Symantec Mail Security for Exchange
- Symantec Mail Security for Exchange V5.0 (32-bit)
- Symantec Information Foundation Mail Security for Exchange V6.0 (32-bit & 64-bit)
- Symantec Mail Security for Exchange v6.5 (32-bit & 64-bit)
This is a list of all services protected by this plug-in. Please note that where a plug-in supports multiple vendor versions, some services may not be present in a particular version.
- Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange (SMSMSE)
- Symantec Mail Security Spam Statistics (SAVFMSESpamStatsManager)
- Symantec Mail Security Utility Service (SAVFMSESpamStatsManager)
- Symantec Spam Folder Agent for Exchange (BMISFA)
When the plug-in is installed, all protected services will be set to 'Manual' unless otherwise stated.
This is a description of the protected data set that was determined when the plug-in was installed. Please note that exact filters will be based on the configuration of the application when the plug-in was installed.
- All registry configurations are protected by this plug-in;
- File filters protect the Symantec Mail Security configuration, data and log files.
The plug-in does not provide a filter discovery component. The plug-in will need to be reinstalled according to Knowledgebase article #1522 - 'Plug-in for Symantec Mail Security for Exchange - Online Help' if the application is reconfigured so that new locations are specified for files that are currently protected.
Virus Definitions are handled in the following manner:
- The virus definitions DAT files obtained from the Auto Update component are not protected. This is because the update schedule can be run on the passive server causing apply exceptions because the files are in use.
- If there is a management IP address available on the passive server then scheduled DAT updates can occur when the server is passive.
- In cases where there is no management IP address the latest DATs are obtained when the server becomes active because Symantec’s LiveUpdate is run as a PreStart command.
Unsupported Components and Features
This plug-in does not protect the following application features or components:
Plug-in for Symantec Mail Security for Exchange