This Knowledgebase article explains the protection offered by the Neverfail for Virtual Machine Manager Plug-in.
Neverfail for Virtual Machine Manager Plug-in proactively monitors the Microsoft Virtual Machine Manager 2008 environment. Neverfail for Virtual Machine Manager Plug-in provides protection for all associated Virtual Machine Manager 2008 configuration data, services, application data files, and log files. Neverfail for SQL Server provides protection for the SQL Server 2005 SP2 database used by Virtual Machine Manager. Please note that SQL Server instances added after Neverfail for SQL Server is installed will not be protected.
The following clients of Microsoft Virtual Machine Manager 2008 are supported:
- Hyper-V and Virtual Machines
- Hyper-V Microsoft Management Console (MMC)
- Via the IIS 7.0 Delegated Admin Console
- Virtual Server 2005 and Virtual Machines
VMware ESX and Virtual Machines
- Only if VirtualCenter is present\
The following components of Virtual Machine Manager 2008 are supported:
- SQL Server 2005 SP database (protected by Neverfail for SQL).
- Virtual Machine Manager Library (protected by Neverfail for File Server).
- Virtual Machine Manager 2008
This is a list of all services protected by this plug-in.
Virtual Machine Manager 2008
- Virtual Machine Manager (VMMService)
- Virtual Machine Manager Agent (VMMAgent)
When the plug-in is installed, all protected services will be set to manual unless otherwise stated.
This is a description of the protected data set determined at plug-in install time. Please note that exact filters will depend upon the configuration of the application plug-in at the time of install.
Virtual Machine Manager 2008
- All registry data, log files, and configuration files.
- All Virtual Machine Manager database instances discovered at install time.
Virtual Machine Manager Availability Rules
Neverfail for Virtual Machine Manager does not provide any monitoring rules.
Automatic Filter Discovery
Neverfail for Virtual Machine Manager will adjust file filter protection for locations described under the Data Protection section when Administrators make changes to Virtual Machine Manager's configuration.
Neverfail for SQL Server Plug-in provides protection of databases including changes to, or additions to the database and log files. For detailed information about Automated Filter Discovery in Neverfail for SQL Server, please refer to Knowledgebase article #398 - 'Automated filter discovery in Neverfail for SQL Server'.
Neverfail for File Server Plug-in provides protection for the Template Library including changes or additions to the library. For detailed information about Automated Filter Discovery in Neverfail for File Server, please refer to Knowledgebase article # XXX - 'Automated filter discovery in Neverfail for File Server'.
Support for WAN Deployments
Neverfail for Virtual Machine Manager supports WAN deployments where the disaster recovery site is configured:
- With the same subnet range, where the Secondary server is configured with the same IP address (default).
- With a difference subnet range, where the Secondary server requires a different IP address.
Unsupported Components or Features
The plug-in does not protect the following application features or components:
- This plug-in does not currently support protection of the Web-based Delegated Provisioning.
- This plug-in does not protect a fully distributed environment.
- The plug-in does not protect Virtual Machine Manager managing a VMware ESX and VM infrastructure through VMware's VirtualCenter product.