This Knowledgebase article provides customers with a technical overview of Neverfail vAppHA for VMware V6.1.1.
Technical documents supporting this version of vAppHA:
Knowledgebase article #1837 - vAppHA for VMware V6.1 - Release Notes
Knowledgebase article #1838 - Neverfail vAppHA V6.1[.n] - Technical Documentation
The adaptor for the VMware environment provides a set of availability checks and rule actions for the vSphere environment. These checks and rule actions the adaptor must be configured with a valid vCenter Administrator username and password, and the connection details to vCenter (Please refer to the Reference Guide for details).
- Fault Tolerance (FT) Availability Check - enabled by default
- High Availability (HA) Check - enabled by default
- vCenter Availability Check - enabled by default
Rule Actions are available to application plug-ins installed with vAppHA. When the rule action triggers, the event is logged in vCenter.
- VMotion to the target configured in the VMAdaptor
- VMotion and Restart Application
Standard service and rule actions available and applicable to vAppHA protected applications:
- Recover Service
- Restart Applications
- Log Warning
For health checks and rule actions to complete successfully the VMAdaptor must be configured with Username, Password, and vCenter details.
- Warnings and Errors will be logged if these are not configured
- If vCenter and the vAppHA VM are not on the same subnet these checks and rule actions will fail and must be disabled
- Provide a destination target host. This is the ESX host name, exactly as it appears in vCenter, or the IP address.
Provide the name of the Resource Pool you wish to VMotion to:
- This Resource Pool should not contain the current ESX host; DRS selects a host with the named Resource Pool
- If the Resource Pool contains the host on which vAppHA VM is currently running, DRS recommends the current ESX host and VMotion will not take place.
Neverfail vAppHA for VMware Foundation
Provides the foundation for protecting any virtualized applications. Neverfail provides Plug-ins that deliver service monitoring as well as server and application performance monitoring. The following Plug-ins are included in the Neverfail vAppHA for VMware kit (such as V6-1-3407-x86\Plug-ins) and can be installed during Setup or after installation using the Management Client:
- System Performance Monitoring Rules
IIS Plug-in for 6.0 and IIS 7.0
- Web Site Availability Check
- Web Site Response Time Check
Windows File Server Plug-in for Windows Server 2003 and 2008
- File Server Performance Monitoring
Neverfail vAppHA for Applications on VMware
vAppHA can be deployed with any of the application Plug-ins to provide protection in the virtualized applications and deliver service monitoring, as well as providing server and application performance monitoring.
|NOTE:||Details of applications and versions supported for production environments are in the Neverfail vAppHA for VMware - Release Notes .|
The following Application Plug-ins are included in the Neverfail vAppHA for VMware download:
- Exchange Plug-in for Exchange 2007 and 2010
- SQL Server Plug-in for SQL Server 2005 and 2008
All other 'Neverfail for Application' Plug-ins can be downloaded from the Neverfail Extranet with a Customer or Partner account.
The Heartbeat Signature (HBSig) of the virtual machine is required to generate a license. To obtain the HBSig, run Setup.exe and click Next to reach the License screen. The HBSig is displayed next to the license entry screen.
All other Neverfail plug-ins or application versions that are not listed are compatible with vAppHA but are not currently approved for deployment in production environments. They may be suitable for demos and PoCs.
Plug-in Configuration Options
The following configuration options are not relevant for deployment with vAppHA:
The File Server Plug-in
- ‘Force the inclusion of the Microsoft Analysis Share’
The SQL Server Plug-in
- ‘Protect index catalogue files’
The Exchange Plug-in
- ‘Protect catalogue data’, ‘Protect Message Tracking Logs’, ‘Extensive Logging’
The IIS Plug-in
- ‘Protect logs’, ‘Protect index catalogue files’, ‘Metabase backups’, ‘Only run filter discovery when changes are written to the metabase file’, ‘Extensive Logging’, ‘Sleep Duration’
The Lotus Domino Plug-in
- ‘Extensive Logging’
Neverfail vAppHA Foundation License
- Licensed per socket in the cluster
- Currently issued on a“1-year time expiry license”
- Deploy an unlimited number of vAppHA instances
Includes a license for:
- File Server Plug-in
- IIS Plug-in
Neverfail vAppHA for Application Plug-in
- Licensed per virtual machine in addition to the Neverfail vAppHA Foundation License
Requires the “Heartbeat Signature” of the virtual machine
- The Heartbeat Signature (HBSig) of the virtual machine is required to generate a license.
- Run Setup and click Next to reach the License screen. The HBSig is displayed next to the license entry screen.
Neverfail vAppHA for VMware V6.1.1