This Knowledgebase article provides procedures for upgrading or applying Service Packs to a SQL Server protected by vCenter Server Heartbeat where the vCenter Server database is remote from the vCenter Server.
Prior to attempting this upgrade you should read the entire procedure.
The procedure assumes that the SQL database is installed on a remote server and not installed on the same server as vCenter Server.
Supported Applications and Versions
- For Service Packs on SQL Server 2005 or 2008
- For upgrades from SQL Server 2005 or 2008
Prior to upgrading SQL Server with vCenter Server Heartbeat installed, check with VMware for the latest version of SQL Server plug-in and verify that the plug-in supports the new application version or Service Pack. To upgrade SQL Server with vCenter Server Heartbeat installed, perform the following steps:
On the Primary (active) Server
Uninstall the existing version of the SQL Server plug-in using the procedure in vCSHB-Ref-2067 -
How to Uninstall Plug-ins in vCenter Server Heartbeat
- Wait for the plug-in to uninstall completely and remove all protection.
- Check the Application Event Log events to ensure this process has completed on the passive server.
Install the latest plug-in for SQL Server.
- Wait for the plug-in installation process to complete.
- Verify that all services and filters are added.
- Shutdown vCenter Server Heartbeat, opting to leave the protected applications running.
- Upgrade the SQL Server or apply the Service Pack by running Setup.exe .
Restart the server if requested.
- vCenter Server Heartbeat will return as active, with heartbeat in the started state.
- SQL Server will start.
- The SQL Server upgrade / Service Pack will resume.
- If the server was restarted at Step 5, shutdown vCenter Server Heartbeat opting to leave the protected application running. If the server was not restarted, continue to Step 7.
- Allow the SQL Server upgrade / Service Pack to complete.
- Once complete, start SQL Server services.
On Secondary (passive) Server
|NOTE:||Use identical Setup program upgrade parameters on both servers.|
- Upgrade SQL Server by running Setup.exe .
Restart the server if required.
- The server will return as passive with vCenter Server Heartbeat in the stated state.
- The SQL Server services will be stopped.
- The SQL Server upgrade will resume.
- If server was restarted at Step 2, stop vCenter Server Heartbeat.
Allow the SQL Server upgrade to complete.
NOTE: Do not start SQL Server services when the upgrade has completed.
Finalize Installation and Synchronize vCenter Server Heartbeat
- On Secondary (passive) server, start vCenter Server Heartbeat.
- On Primary (active) server, start vCenter Server Heartbeat.
- In Service Control Manager window, on the Primary (active) server, verify that all protected application services are started and set to 'Manual'.
- In Service Control Manager window, on the Secondary (passive) server, verify that all protected application services are stopped and set to 'Manual'.
On Primary (active) server, launch the vCenter Server Heartbeat Console.
- Manually run the 'Protected Service' and 'Registry' discovery task for the SQL Server sponsor
- Verify that all newly installed components and services are protected.
- Allow vCenter Server Heartbeat to complete the full system check.
vCenter Server Heartbeat All Versions
SQL Server v2005 or 2008