This Knowledgebase article provides customers with a technical overview of Neverfail vAppHA for VMware V6.1.2.
For more information about this version of vAppHA, see the Reference Guide for Neverfail vAppHA V6.1 .
Knowledgebase article #2088 - Neverfail vAppHA for VMware V6.1.2 - Release Notes
The adaptor for the VMware environment provides a set of availability checks and rule actions for the vSphere environment. Some of these checks and rule actions require the adaptor to be configured with a valid vCenter Administrator username and password, and the connection details to vCenter. See the Reference Guide for details. Unless otherwise indicated, all features are available on the vSphere 4.0 platform
Fault Tolerance (FT) Availability Health Check – enabled by default, requires connection details to be provided
- Checks if FT is functioning; if FT is not used, disable this rule to avoid unnecessary warnings
High Availability (HA) Health Check – enabled by default, requires connection details to be provided
- Checks if HA is infrastructure available; disable this rule if HA is not being used to avoid receiving unnecessary warnings
Integrate with VMware Application Monitoring (disabled by default) available on vSphere 4.1 platform only
- Before this rule can be enabled, the Cluster must be configured with VMware Application HA and the latest version of VMTools must be installed
Enabling this feature will send Heartbeats to VMware HA. This external monitoring of VM will ensure that in the event the VM becomes unresponsive for 30 sec (default), VMware HA can trigger a VMRestart.
Default Cluster settings:
- Failure Interval 30 sec to 60 sec (not less than 30 sec)
- Maximum per-VM resets=1
- Maximum resets time window =4 hrs
Configure Service Recovery Actions on
Neverfail Server R2
Restart, Restart, Run executable
Caution: The recovery action is equivalent to a hardware reset. Frequent reboots are a cause for concern and should be investigated.
- Restart, Restart, Run executable vAppHA-appmonitor.exe disable
- Default Cluster settings:
- Recommended settings:
- vCenter Availability Health Check – enabled by default, requires connection details to be provided.
Service Protection - enabled by default
Rule Actions are available to application plug-ins installed with vAppHA. When the rule action triggers, the event is logged in vCenter.
- VMotion to the target configured in the VMAdaptor
- VMotion and restart applications
Standard service and rule actions available and applicable to vAppHA protected applications:
- Recover Service
- Restart Applications
- Log Warning
Note on VMotion : For health checks and rule actions to complete successfully the VMAdaptor must be configured with username, password, and vCenter details.
- Warnings and errors will be logged if these are not configured
- If vCenter and the vAppHA virtual machine are not on the same subnet, these checks and rule actions will fail and must be disabled
Note: Environments configured to use VMware Integrated Application HA protection and VMotion should be configured so that the average time to perform a VMotion is less than the Clusters setting for Application HA Failure Interval (default 20 sec). If in doubt, configure the Failure Interval to 60 sec to avoid a VM restart during a VMotion.
- Provide a destination target host. This is the ESX host name, exactly as it appears in vCenter, or the IP address.
Provide the name of the Resource Pool to which you wish to VMotion:
- This Resource Pool should not contain the current ESX host; DRS selects a host with the named Resource Pool
- If the Resource Pool contains the host on which vAppHA VM is currently running, DRS recommends the current ESX host and VMotion will not take place
Note: If DRS is enabled and sensitivity is high, then a VM that is VMotioned by vAppHA may be moved back to the original ESX host. This rule action is primarily for customers who do not use DRS, or wish to have application performance trigger a VMotion.
Neverfail vAppHA for VMware Foundation
Provides the foundation for protecting any virtualized applications. Neverfail provides plug-ins that deliver service monitoring as well as server and application performance monitoring. The following plug-ins are included in the Neverfail vAppHA for VMware kit (such as V6-1-3407-x86\Plug-ins) and can be installed during Setup or after installation using the Management Client:
- System Performance Monitoring Rules
IIS Plug-in for 6.0 and IIS 7.0
- Web Site Availability Check
- Web Site Response Time Check
Windows File Server Plug-in for Windows Server 2003 and 2008
- File Server Performance Monitoring
Neverfail vAppHA for Applications on VMware
vAppHA can be deployed with any of the application plug-ins to provide protection for the virtualized applications and to deliver service monitoring, as well as to provide server and application performance monitoring.
|NOTE:||Details of applications and versions supported for production environments are in the Neverfail vAppHA for VMware - Release Notes .|
The following application plug-ins are included in the Neverfail vAppHA for VMware download:
- Exchange Plug-in for Exchange 2007 and 2010
- SQL Server Plug-in for SQL Server 2005 and 2008
All other Neverfail for <Application> Plug-ins can be downloaded from the Neverfail Extranet (requires a Customer or Partner account).
The Heartbeat Signature (HBSig) of the virtual machine is required to generate a license. To obtain the HBSig, run Setup.exe and click Next to reach the License screen. The HBSig is displayed next to the license entry screen.
All other Neverfail Plug-ins or application versions that are not listed are compatible with vAppHA but are not currently approved for deployment in production environments. They may be suitable for demos and PoCs.
Plug-in Configuration Options
The following configuration options are not relevant for deployment with vAppHA:
The File Server Plug-in
- Force the inclusion of the Microsoft Analysis Share
The SQL Server Plug-in
- Protect index catalogue files
The Exchange Plug-in
- Protect catalogue data
- Protect Message Tracking Logs
- Extensive Logging
The IIS Plug-in
- Protect logs
- Protect index catalogue files
- Metabase backups
- Only run filter discovery when changes are written to the metabase file
- Extensive Logging
- Sleep Duration
The Lotus Domino Plug-in
- Extensive Logging
Neverfail vAppHA Foundation License
- Licensed per socket in the cluster
- Currently issued on a 1-year time expiry license
- Deploy an unlimited number of vAppHA instances
Includes a license for:
- File Server Plug-in
- IIS Plug-in
Neverfail vAppHA for Application Plug-in
- Licensed per virtual machine in addition to the Neverfail vAppHA Foundation License
Requires the Heartbeat Signature (HBSig) of the virtual machine
- The HBSig of the virtual machine is required to generate a license.
- Run Setup.exe and click Next to reach the License screen. The HBSig is displayed next to the license entry screen.
Neverfail vAppHA for VMware V6.1.2