This Knowledgebase article explains the protection offered by the Plug-in for Sophos PureMessage for Exchange.
About Sophos PureMessage for ExchangeSophos PureMessage for Exchange is a Microsoft Exchange anti-virus tool comprised of three components: Microsoft Exchange anti-virus protection, application-level anti-spam protection for Microsoft Exchange, and the Sophos On-Access File Level anti-virus scanning. This plug-in does not protect the Sophos On-Access File Level component.
Sophos PureMessage stores all quarantined files in a database. If the Quarantine database is stored locally on the server, but the SQL instance used is not named "SOPHOS", then it can be protected using the Neverfail for SQL Server Plug-in. The "SOPHOS" instance is protected by the Sohpos plug-in.Supported Versions
The following versions of Sophos PureMessage for Exchange are supported in respect to the hardware platform:
x86 Platform (32-bit hardware)
- V2.5 on Microsoft Exchange 2003
- V2.6 on Microsoft Exchange 2003
- V3.0 on Microsoft Exchange 2003
x64 Platform (64-bit hardware)
- V3.0 on Microsoft Exchange 2007
This is a list of all services protected by this plug-in. Please note that where a plug-in supports multiple vendor versions, some services may not be present in a particular version.
The Sophos PureMessage services are monitored and controlled by the plug-in. When the plug-in is installed, all protected services will be set to 'Manual' unless otherwise stated.
The following services compose the Sophos PureMessage for Exchange anti-virus:
- Sophos PureMessage Running Object Table (ROT) (MMRot) - Manual
- Sophos PureMessage (Savexsrvc) - Manual
- Sophos PureMessage (SavexWebAgent) - Manual
- Sophos PureMessage Scanner (PMScanner) - Manual
The other services, used by the File Level Scanning Components, also are present on the server:
- Sophos Autoupdate Service - Manual
- Sophos Administrative Service (SAVAdminService) - Manual
- Sophos Anti-virus Service (SAVService) - Manual
The Autoupdate Service is also monitored and started via the plug-in. It is left on the default start-up, which is 'Manual'.
As the plug-in protects the default Sophos instance, the following services are also protected ONLY if the SQL instance "SOPHOS" exists:
- SQL Server (SOPHOS) (MSSQL$SOPHOS)
- Distributed Transactions Coordinator (MSDTC)
- SQL Server Browser (SQLBrowser)
- SQLAgent$SOPHOS (SQLAgent$SOPHOS)
- Task Scheduler (Schedule)
This is a description of the protected data set that was determined when the plug-in was installed. Please note that exact filters will be based on the configuration of the application plug-in during installation.
File filters data:
- Protects the Sophos PureMessage for Exchange configuration data and logs.
- This plug-in protects all the registry information stored for the Sophos anti-virus product suite.
Automatic Filter Discovery
This plug-in does not provide a filter discovery component. The plug-in will need to be reinstalled using the procedures to uninstall and reinstall a plug-in included in Continuous Availability REFID-2202 Plug-in for Sophos PureMessage for Exchange - Online Help if the application is reconfigured so that new locations are specified for files that are currently protected.
Unsupported Components or Features
The plug-in does not protect the following application features or components:
- Does not control the Sophos File Level anti-virus services.
- Does not protect the Sophos File Level anti-virus configuration files because these are in use on the passive server.
- Does not protect the Auto Update directory because this will be in use on the passive server (File Level Components will be running).
Symantec Continuous Availability 2011