This Knowledge Base article provides information about vCenter Server Heartbeat and the use of Broadcom NIC teaming software on Windows 2008.
This Knowledge Base article applies to Windows Server 2008 and later. For previous versions of Windows Server, see Knowledgebase article 1646 - How to install the vCenter Server Heartbeat Packet Filter Driver on a NIC team (Teamed NICs, NIC Teaming)
If the Network Interface Cards (NICs) on the server have a Broadcom chipset capable of teaming and the driver versions of the NICs are bxndXXx.sys , use the procedure below when installing vCenter Server Heartbeat. If you attempt to install the VMware Packet Filter prior to creating a NIC team as recommended in the vCenter Server Heartbeat Installation Guide, the Broadcom teaming will respond with the following error message:
 Broadcom BCM5708C NetXtreme II GigE (NDIS VBD Client #3) does not support teaming. Please select an adapter with NDIS 6 Driver.
This is due to the design of the Broadcom software. To workaround this issue, follow the steps below.
On the Primary Server
- Before starting installation of vCenter Server Heartbeat on the Primary server break the NIC team.
- Configure one of the NIC’s, that was previously part of the NIC team, with the Principal (Public) IP address you intend to use on the server.
- Initiate normal installation procedures for vCenter Server Heartbeat until you complete the backup.
Following completion of the backup re-team the NICs using the Broadcom teaming software.
Note: Do not click Next until the NICs are again teamed. Configure the virtually created NIC corresponding to the team with the Principal (Public) IP address you intend to use on the server.
- Continue with the installation procedure. The VMware Packet filter will be installed on all NIC’s including the newly created NIC team.
On the Secondary
- Before starting installation on the Secondary server break the NIC team on this server.
- Install vCenter Server Heartbeat on the Secondary server.
- Restore the backup and reboot the server.
- Following the reboot, double-click on the vCenter Server Heartbeat Installation Completion icon on the desktop (another server reboot may be required). Do not start vCenter Server Heartbeat following installation.
- Uninstall the VMware Packet Filter by following the procedure described in Knowledgebase article 353 - How to Manually Install and Uninstall the vCenter Server Packet Filter Driver .
- Launch the Broadcom teaming software and re-team the NICs.
- Reinstall the VMware Packet Filter.
- Configure the IP addressing for the Principal (Public) NIC.
- Clear the VMware Packet Filter check box on the VMware Channel NIC(s).
Start vCenter Server Heartbeat on the Secondary server.
- If you intend to upgrade or uninstall vCenter Server Heartbeat you must first break the NIC team prior upgrading or uninstalling vCenter Server Heartbeat. Failure to break the NIC team prior to upgrading or uninstalling vCenter Server Heartbeat will result in a hung state.
- The NIC team must be broken prior to performing a backup of the System State for restoration to a remote machine.
vCenter Server Heartbeat Installed on Windows Server 2008 and Later
Knowledgebase article 1646 - How to install the vCenter Server Heartbeat Packet Filter Driver on a NIC team (Teamed NICs, NIC Teaming )