This Knowledge Base article provides information about Orion Failover Engine license activation failure when FIPS is enabled.
When performing an installation of Orion Failover Engine with FIPS enabled and attempting to activate the license, the license activation fails.
Licensing on more recent versions of Orion NPM, Orion modules, Toolset, and ipMonitor uses an encryption algorithm that becomes invalid, preventing read access to the license store, when FIPS is enabled.
To confirm a licensing error:
- Click Start > All Programs > SolarWinds > SolarWinds License Manager .
- Click View Log .
Locate the following item in the License Manager Log:
INFO FIPS Task - FIPS Policy Enabled (HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\FIPSAlgorithmPolicy)
- If the FIPSAlgorithmPolicy is reported as 0, FIPS is not enabled, and the resolution in this knowledge base article does not apply.
- If the FIPSAlgorithmPolicy is reported as 1, complete the following procedure to resolve the error.
To resolve this licensing issue:
- Confirm with SolarWinds Customer Service that the customer can reset their license.
- Use the licensecleanup tool to reset the customer license.
- Restart the application that initiated the original license error.
If the original licensing error does not occur again,
the issue is resolved.
Note: If the issue has been resolved, the error should not occur again, regardless of how often the customer may enable or disable FIPS again.
- If the original licensing error occurs again, attach the License Manager Log (LicenseManagerLog.txt) to the support case and continue troubleshooting.
Orion Failover Engine v6.4.1 and later