This Knowledgebase article provides information about this specific release of Neverfail Heartbeat v6.6.2
Technical Documents supporting this version of Neverfail Heartbeat are contained in Knowledgebase article #2410 - v 6.6.[n] Neverfail Heartbeat - Technical Documentation .
Supported Operating Systems
- Windows Server 2003 x86 and x64 Standard / Enterprise / R2 with SP2
- Windows Server 2008 x86 and x64 Standard / Enterprise with SP1 or SP2
- Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 Standard / Enterprise / Datacenter with SP1
Note: Neverfail Heartbeat supports installation on German and Japanese language operating systems.
Supported Virtualization Platforms
- Virtual Machines running on Microsoft's Hyper-V
- Virtual Machines running on VMware's ESX
- Virtual Machines running on Citrix XenServer
Note: Neverfail Heartbeat supports any combination of physical / virtual servers.
Note: This release is a point release of Neverfail Heartbeat v6.6 and includes primarily resolutions to Known Issues. Previous releases of Neverfail Heartbeat v6.6[.n] include the following new features.
This release of Neverfail Heartbeat provides a new Channel Communications implementation offering a far more robust experience in WANs particularly those that experience frequent channel disconnects, high latency and / or packet loss and features:
- Improved memory buffer management to reduce occurrences of communications related out-of-memory problems.
- Session orientated delivery to handle frequent channel disconnects and prevent lost messages blocking Apply.
- Checksums on communications messages to guard against corruption introduced by the network.
- Support for VMware Site Recovery Manager 5.0 and improved SRMXtender documentation.
- Supportability - To help diagnose the cause of Java Out of Memory errors, Neverfail Heartbeat now triggers an automatic memory dump when a Java Heap Space problem is detected. The memory dump is written to the Neverfail\R2\Logs folder.
- The Configure Server wizard now provides a user selectable Network Topology control to enable/disable low bandwidth optimization (Ref-9993).
- Improved Setup warning message text when WbAdmin is missing.
- If Setup detects the kit contains blocked files because they originate from the Internet, the user is asked if they would like to unblock these files before continuing with the install of Neverfail Heartbeat (Ref-12704).
The following is a list of all issues fixed since the release of Neverfail Heartbeat v6.6.1
- A bounce replication Escalation may be discarded by the Controller if it is quickly followed by a channel disconnect causing the status of replication to be reported as replicating when no replication is occurring (Ref-13699, Ref-10492).
After an upgrade to Neverfail Heartbeat v6.6.2, the Principal (Public) IP address in
wizard may be empty.
Workaround: Manually enter the Principal (Public) IP address in the Server Configuration wizard or start Neverfail Heartbeat and the address will be populated automatically. (Ref-12898).
- Performing a Service Pack upgrade does not upgrade the System Plug-in. The System Plug-in must be upgraded separately using the procedure provided in Knowledgebase article #1863 (Ref-7123).
- Installation of Client Tools using a file path longer than 100 characters may cause the installation of Client Tools to fail (Ref-13343).
- When installing Neverfail Heartbeat on a non-English OS, although the installation path is displayed in English (for example, C:\Program Files\Neverfail ), the application path may display in the non-English language (for example, C:\Programme\Neverfail) (Ref-10719).
- Restoring to a non-cloned Secondary or Tertiary server results in the following pop-up being displayed: This copy of Windows is not Genuine (Ref-9444).
- After restoring the backup file to the Secondary server, the server keeps rebooting (Ref-8519).
- The Packet filter does not work after a Physical to Virtual Install Clone if VMware Tools were installed; please uninstall VMware Tools before performing the restore to a virtual machine (Ref-10993).
- When the Neverfail Heartbeat Management Client v6.6[.n] is used to manage Neverfail Heartbeat v6.3.1 clusters it will display the Orphaned Files Check button although the functionality is not available for Neverfail Heartbeat v6.3.1 (Ref-10908).
- When resizing the Neverfail Heartbeat Management Client window, some buttons may disappear as a result of the resizing (Ref-10720).
- Neverfail Heartbeat Management Client v6.6.2 is not backwards compatible for versions 6.6.0 and earlier. When using Neverfail Heartbeat Management Client v6.6.2 to view Neverfail Heartbeat v6.6.0 and earlier, the event logs may have missing or garbled event entries (ref-13233, 13238).
- Viewing Neverfail Heartbeat Online Help with Internet Explorer requires Active Scripting to be Enabled in Internet Explorer.
- Neverfail SRMXtender - When a Make Active command is inserted into a Site Recovery Manager plan and the plan is executed in test mode, the message displayed in the History tab after a Make Active command may not be correct (Ref-12841).
- Neverfail Tasks and Events are not logged in vCenter 4.1 and earlier so will not appear in the vSphere Client (Ref-12886).
- SCOM - Discovery Data received about the Channel ID between the Secondary and Tertiary servers may not be valid (Ref-12885).
SCOM - A Neverfail Channel Disconnected critical alert is logged in
when a Make Active operation is executed.
Workaround: The critical alert will self-clear when Discovery runs. Reduce the Discovery interval. (Ref-12879).
- SCOM - The counter %ProcessorTime is not viewable in the SCOM Server Performance View (Ref-12786).
- SNMP - The Neverfail Heartbeat server ASN1 Table may contain wrong values when replication is stopped (Ref-12340).
- SNMP - ApplicationStarted and ApplicationStopped SNMP Traps messages are logged twice (Ref-12335).
- If Neverfail Heartbeat is installed on Windows Server 2003, and .Net 2.0 is not present, an error occurs when the Log Collector utility is run. (Ref-12880).
- After uninstalling a version of Neverfail Heartbeat, installing a different version of Neverfail Heartbeat and clearing the Neverfail Packet Filter check box on the NIC properties may cause the server to fail (Ref-7014).
- Exceeding MaxDiskUsage may cause an exception in the logs and prevent a full system check from completing (Ref-12830).
- Editing and dissolving a Business Application Group when one of its servers is disconnected requires the Business Application Plug-in to be removed from the disconnected server (Ref-12536).
- Valid Business Application Groups require a minimum of two member servers (Ref-12812).
- If the First to Switch server in a Business Application Group cannot be contacted, use the Neverfail Management Client to log into the Disaster Recovery server of the First to Switch Cluster, select the Disaster Recovery server and click Make Active to initiate the site switchover (Ref-12535).
- When attempting to uninstall Neverfail for Exchange Plug-in an error stating that a specified file could not be found is displayed although the uninstall procedure completes successfully (Ref-12570).
- The System Plug-in fails to load on the passive-Tertiary server; the service starts but appears to be deadlocked (Ref-11454).
- When configuring failure actions for services, if a protected service also has dependent services, actions to take on failure should match those of the protected service (Ref-11437).
- DNS Update does not execute when administrator access is denied to its temp directory (Ref-12239).
- The DNS Update task may fail when run under the System account on the Secondary / active server after switchover (Ref-10837).
DNS Update is not querying for the correct zone name (Ref-8358).
Workaround: Manually configure the DNS Update task.
- After a switchover in a WAN deployment, the DNS Update task status is not updated on the Applications: Tasks page until after the applications are started (Ref-11015).
- Data Rollback - The Create button remains enabled while the create shadow operation is in progress (Ref-12809).
- When navigating to the Data: Replication page and clicking the Show Summary Of All Out Of Sync Files And Directories button to expand the Out of Sync Summary panel, the panel appears and then minimizes (Ref-11436).
Changing the selected options on Fast Check may cause a
message to display on Windows Server 2003.
Workaround: Acknowledge the error and disregard (Ref-11431).
- If a user enables controlled shutdown on the passive server(s), stops the protected applications and then later reboots a passive server, then upon restart and reconnection to the replication chain, Neverfail Heartbeat automatically restarts the protected applications (Ref-11086).
- After multiple start / stop operations on applications and services, the following error is reported: Handling error: Responding to error: File/registry update data lost (Ref-10826).
SQL Server file filter discovery will fail if the
is empty (Ref-10784).
Workaround: Navigate to C:\Documents and Setting\All Users\Application Data and delete the sqlServerConnections.xml file. This will allow the file to be recreated by the plug-in.
Performance counters missing on Secondary and Tertiary servers produce warnings and a degraded Neverfail Heartbeat performance.
Workaround: Shutdown Neverfail Heartbeat on the Secondary / Tertiary server and run the following from a command prompt:
lodctr /R in a cmd window
SCOPE Configuration Tool
tab disabled to satisfy Windows 2008 R2 certification requirements for Neverfail Heartbeat (Ref-11196).
Workaround: Navigate to and upload logs to the Neverfail Extranet manually.
Installation instructions are found in
Neverfail Heartbeat v6.6.2 Installation Guide.pdf
Note: When Setup runs it will check for any files in its directory or any subdirectories that are blocked. If blocked files are found, it will prompt the user to confirm unblocking them. When the user confirms authorization, Setup will unblock all files in its directory and subdirectories (Ref-12704).
Note: Neverfail recommends when upgrading Neverfail Heartbeat Client Tools that the installation path be no more than 100 Characters long (Ref-13343).
Neverfail Heartbeat v6.6.2