This Knowledgebase article provides information about this specific release of Neverfail Heartbeat v6.7.1
Technical Documents supporting this version of Neverfail Heartbeat are contained in Knowledgebase article #2552 - v 6.7.[n] Neverfail Heartbeat - Technical Documentation .
Supported Operating Systems
- Windows Server 2003 x86 and x64 Standard / Enterprise / R2 with SP2
- Windows Server 2008 x86 and x64 Standard / Enterprise with SP1 or SP2
- Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 Standard / Enterprise / Datacenter with SP1
- Windows Server 2012 x64 Standard / Datacenter
- Windows Server 2012 R2 x64 Standard / Datacenter
Note: Neverfail Heartbeat supports installation on German and Japanese language operating systems.
Supported Virtualization Platforms
- Virtual Machines running on Microsoft's Hyper-V
- Virtual Machines running on VMware's ESX
- Virtual Machines running on Citrix XenServer
Note: Neverfail Heartbeat supports any combination of physical / virtual servers.
Support for Windows Server 2012 and Windows Server 2012 R2
Note: Neverfail Heartbeat v6.7.1 is compatible with Windows Server 2012 but does not incorporate any Windows Server 2012 new features.
- This release includes a new version of Neverfail SCOPE Data Collector Service (v5.3.0).
- Neverfail Heartbeat Management Client support for Windows 8.
- Support for installation and operation using a single NIC for both the Principal (Public) and Neverfail Channel connections.
Enhanced Fast Check support for:
- File servers with 1 Million + files
- Closed files for running applications
- Fast Check use at first time start-up
- Improved administrator control over options for synchronization time versus application start-up time.
- Controlled Shutdown enhancement
Enhanced Controlled Shutdown:
- Prevents application shutdown when the passive server is stopped.
- Increases WAN timeout to 15 minutes.
- Includes a default schedule outside of working hours.
- Does not allow Administrator to prevent Controlled Shutdown on the active server.
The following is a list of all issues fixed since the release of Neverfail Heartbeat v6.6.2
- When deployed in a tertiary configuration, Filter Optimization may lead to an unexpected InterceptorException: Invalid filters: One or more patterns are duplicate (Ref-14725).
- Making a configuration change in IIS 8 IIS results in incorrect replication causing the corresponding data on the passive server to be corrupt (Ref-15410).
- SCOM - A Neverfail Channel Disconnected critical alert is logged in Active Alerts when a Make Active operation is executed (Ref-12879).
- When configuring failure actions for services, if a protected service also has dependent services, actions to take on failure should match those of the protected service (Ref-11418).
- Changing the selected options on Fast Check may cause a Replication Error message to display on Windows Server 2003 (Ref-11431).
- If a user enables controlled shutdown on the passive server(s), stops the protected applications and then later reboots a passive server, then upon restart and reconnection to the replication chain, Neverfail Heartbeat automatically restarts the protected applications (Ref-11086).
- SQL Server file filter discovery will fail if the SqlServerConnections.xml is empty (Ref-10784).
- When Setup runs it will check for any files in its directory or any subdirectories that are blocked. If blocked files are found, it will prompt the user to confirm unblocking them. When the user confirms authorization, Setup will unblock all files in its directory and subdirectories (Ref-12704).
- When using SNMP, the SNMP Agent fails to find the local port for Web Services. To workaround this issue, refer to Knowledgebase article #2605 (Ref-14798).
- Performing a Service Pack upgrade does not upgrade the System Plug-in. The System Plug-in must be upgraded separately using the procedure provided in Knowledgebase article #1863 (Ref-7123).
- Installation of Client Tools using a file path longer than 100 characters may cause the installation of Client Tools to fail (Ref-13343).
- When installing Neverfail Heartbeat on a non-English OS, although the installation path is displayed in English (for example, C:\Program Files\Neverfail ), the application path may display in the non-English language (for example, C:\Programme\Neverfail) (Ref-10719).
- Restoring to a non-cloned Secondary or Tertiary server results in the following pop-up being displayed: This copy of Windows is not Genuine (Ref-9444).
When installing using a single NIC on the Primary server and a single NIC on the Secondary server, validate displays a warning message that two NICs are required.
Workaround: The warning message can be ignored. Continue installation (Ref-14309).
- When performing an installation with differing updates/hotfixes on the servers, after restoring the backup file to the Secondary server, the server keeps rebooting (Ref-8519).
- The Packet filter does not work after a Physical to Virtual Install Clone if VMware Tools were installed; please uninstall VMware Tools before performing the restore to a virtual machine (Ref-10993).
After performing a switchover or failover, if network ping targets have not been configured, the message "-1 missed pings appear" is present (Ref-14262).
Workaround: Navigate to Network > Configure Pings > Ping Routing and configure the ping targets.
- When resizing the Neverfail Heartbeat Management Client window, some buttons may disappear as a result of the resizing (Ref-10720).
- Neverfail Heartbeat Management Client v6.7 is not backwards compatible for versions 6.6.0 and earlier. When using Neverfail Heartbeat Management Client v6.7 to view Neverfail Heartbeat v6.6.0 and earlier, the event logs may have missing or garbled event entries (ref-13233, 13238).
- Viewing Neverfail Heartbeat Online Help with Internet Explorer requires Active Scripting to be Enabled in Internet Explorer.
- Neverfail SRMXtender - When a Make Active command is inserted into a Site Recovery Manager plan and the plan is executed in test mode, the message displayed in the History tab after a Make Active command may not be correct (Ref-12841).
- Neverfail Tasks and Events are not logged in vCenter 4.1 and earlier so will not appear in the vSphere Client (Ref-12831).
- SCOM - Discovery Data received about the Channel ID between the Secondary and Tertiary servers may not be valid (Ref-12885).
- SCOM - The counter %ProcessorTime is not viewable in the SCOM Server Performance View (Ref-12786).
- SNMP - The Neverfail Heartbeat server ASN1 Table may contain wrong values when replication is stopped (Ref-12340).
- SNMP - ApplicationStarted and ApplicationStopped SNMP Traps messages are logged twice (Ref-12335).
- If Neverfail Heartbeat is installed on Windows Server 2003, and .Net 2.0 is not present, an error occurs when the Log Collector utility is run. (Ref-14507, 12880).
- Editing and dissolving a Business Application Group when one of its servers is disconnected requires the Business Application Plug-in to be removed from the disconnected server (Ref-12536).
- Valid Business Application Groups require a minimum of two member servers (Ref-12812).
- If the First to Switch server in a Business Application Group cannot be contacted, use the Neverfail Management Client to log into the Disaster Recovery server of the First to Switch Cluster, select the Disaster Recovery server and click Make Active to initiate the site switchover (Ref-12535).
- When attempting to uninstall Neverfail for Exchange Plug-in an error stating that a specified file could not be found is displayed although the uninstall procedure completes successfully (Ref-12570).
- The System Plug-in fails to load on the passive-Tertiary server; the service starts but appears to be deadlocked (Ref-11454).
- DNS Update does not execute when administrator access is denied to its temp directory (Ref-12239).
- The DNS Update task may fail when run under the System account on the Secondary / active server after switchover (Ref-10837).
DNS Update is not querying for the correct zone name (Ref-8358).
Workaround: Manually configure the DNS Update task.
- After a switchover in a WAN deployment, the DNS Update task status is not updated on the Applications: Tasks page until after the applications are started (Ref-11015).
- Data Rollback - The Create button remains enabled while the create shadow operation is in progress (Ref-12809).
- When navigating to the Data: Replication page and clicking the Show Summary Of All Out Of Sync Files And Directories button to expand the Out of Sync Summary panel, the panel appears and then minimizes (Ref-11436).
Performance counters missing on Secondary and Tertiary servers produce warnings and a degraded Neverfail Heartbeat performance.
Workaround: Shutdown Neverfail Heartbeat on the Secondary / Tertiary server and run the following from a command prompt:
lodctr /R in a cmd window
When attempting to collect logs via the Neverfail SCOPE Configuration Tool, the dialog prompting you to put Neverfail into the Maintenance Mode is hidden behind the Neverfail SCOPE Configuration Tool dialog and prevents you from collecting the logs (Ref-14294).
Workaround: Either maximize the dialog icon from the Windows Toolbar or use Alt + Tab to bring the dialog forward so that a response can be given to the prompt.
Installation instructions are found in the following Neverfail Heartbeat v6.7 Installation Guides .
- Installation of Neverfail Heartbeat v6.7 on Windows Server 2012 When the Secondary Server is Virtual
- Installation of Neverfail Heartbeat v6.7 on Windows Server 2012 When the Secondary Server is Physical
- Installation of Neverfail Heartbeat v6.7 on Windows Server 2008 When the Secondary Server is Virtual
- Installation of Neverfail Heartbeat v6.7 on Windows Server 2008 When the Secondary Server is Physical
- Installation of Neverfail Heartbeat v6.7 on Windows Server 2003 When the Secondary Server is Virtual
- Installation of Neverfail Heartbeat v6.7 on Windows Server 2003 When the Secondary Server is Physical
Command Line Installation of Neverfail Heartbeat v6.7
Note: Neverfail recommends when upgrading Neverfail Heartbeat Client Tools that the installation path be no more than 100 Characters long (Ref-13343).
Neverfail Heartbeat v6.7.1