This Knowledgebase article describes the prerequisites for installation of the Neverfail IT Continuity Engine product.
Before You Begin
The server to be protected by Neverfail Engine can NOT be installed on a server running Neverfail Engine Management Server, configured as a domain controller, global catalog, DHCP or DNS server. These roles and services must be removed before proceeding with installation.
Neverfail strongly recommends that you perform your product trial within a test lab environment, as we do not provide installation or product support for trial evaluations. Neverfail is not responsible for trial software installed in a production environment.
- Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard/Enterprise/Datacenter
- Windows Server 2012 Standard/Datacenter
- Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard/Datacenter
Note: Neverfail Engine requires that Microsoft™ .Net Framework 4 be installed prior to installation. If .Net Framework 4 is not installed when you attempt to initiate Setup, Neverfail Engine will prevent installation until .Net Framework 4 is installed.
- If there is an existing installation of Neverfail Heartbeat Management for vCenter (also known as "Virtual Availability Director (VAD)/SRMXtender"), you MUST uninstall it before attempting to install Neverfail IT Continuity Engine v7.0
- vCenter Server 5.0 or later running on Windows Server 2008 R2 or later for installation of the Neverfail Engine Management Server
Note: The vSphere Web Client is only available from vCenter Server 5.1 or later
- The Primary server can be Virtual or Physical but the Secondary server will always be created as a Virtual server
- For Physical to Virtual (P2V) installations, VMware Converter 5.0.1 must be available (Note: Even though Neverfail Engine supports WS2012R2, VMware Converter 5.0.1 or later does not officially support conversion of the WS2012R2 physical machines. As a consequence, Neverfail Engine P2V deployments on WS2012R2 are not fully supported).
- Verify no other critical business applications are installed on the server
- Verify that there is a minimum of 2GB of available RAM in addition to any other memory requirements for the Operating System or installed applications. 512MB of RAM must remain available to Neverfail Engine at all times
- Verify that a minimum 2GB of free disk space is available on the installation drive for Neverfail Engine
Note: Although Neverfail Engine requires only 2GB of available disk space on the drive to receive the Neverfail Engine installation, once installed, the size of each send and receive queue is configured by default for 10GB.You must ensure that sufficient disk space is available to accommodate the send and receive queues or modify the queue size configuration to prevent MaxDiskUsage errors.
Obtain and use local administrator rights to perform Neverfail Engine installation
Note: Neverfail Engine services are required to be run under the Local System account.
- Apply the latest Microsoft security updates
- All applications that will be protected by Neverfail Engine must be installed and configured on the Primary server prior to installing Neverfail Engine
- Verify that all services to be protected are running or set to Automatic prior to installation. During installation, protected services are set to manual to allow Neverfail Engine to start and stop services depending on the role of the server. The target state of the services is normally running on the active server and stopped on the passive server.
- Register this connection's address in DNS must be disabled off on all NICs on the target server
- VMware Tools must be installed on the Primary node prior to the cloning phase of the Secondary node when the Primary node is virtual
- File and Printer Sharing must be enabled on the Primary target server prior to deployment
- When possible, Neverfail recommends that Neverfail Engine Management Server be installed on the same node as vCenter Server