This Knowledgebase article provides release information about this specific version of Neverfail Heartbeat.
Release Notes for:
Neverfail Heartbeat V5.1.0
- Neverfail Heartbeat V5.1.0 is the first production release of Neverfail Heartbeat to feature support for Windows x64 server and client platforms.
Neverfail Heartbeat Core -Neverfail Heartbeat V5.1.0 includes full support for Windows Server x64 platforms. The 64-bit version of Neverfail Heartbeat V5.1.0 can be deployed on the following 64-bit server platforms:
- Windows Server 2003 Standard x64 SP1
- Windows Server 2003 Standard x64 SP2
- Windows Server 2003 Enterprise x64 SP1
- Windows Server 2003 Enterprise x64 SP2
The Neverfail Heartbeat Client Tools may also be deployed on the following 64-bit platforms:
- Windows XP Professional x64 SP1
- Windows XP Professional x64 SP2
- Windows Vista x64 (all Editions)
Note: Neverfail Heartbeat V5.1.0 does not support the IA-64 (Itanium) platform.
- Exchange Application Module - Neverfail Heartbeat V5.1.0 includes full support for Microsoft Exchange 2007. In addition, there have been a number of enhancements to the installation and configuration of Neverfail for Exchange in respect of 32-bit Exchange deployments.
- File Server Application Module - Neverfail Heartbeat V5.1.0 for File Server now supports 64-bit Windows server platforms.
- SQL Server Application Module - Neverfail Heartbeat V5.1.0 for SQL Server now supports 64-bit installations of SQL Server 2005 running on 64-bit Windows server platforms. In addition, there have been a number of enhancements to the installation and configuration of Neverfail for SQL Server in respect of 32-bit SQL Server deployments.
Note: Neverfail Heartbeat V5.1.0 does not support:
- 32-bit SQL Server 2005 instances (including SQL Server 2005 Express) running on a 64-bit Windows platform
- SQL Server 2000 x64 on the IA-64 (Itanium) platform
- Neverfail Heartbeat V5.1.0 includes an updated version of the Java Runtime Environment, providing improvements in robustness and stability.
The Heartbeat shutdown process has been streamlined, and messaging improved, in order to provide the user with more control and better feedback in the following situations:
- When Heartbeat has a backlog of replication tasks to complete when the shutdown is requested
- When Windows on the host server is shut down while Heartbeat is still running
These changes reduce the risk of an 'unclean' Heartbeat shutdown, and hence the likelihood of a subsequent server reboot being requested as a result of such an 'unclean' shutdown.
- Neverfail Heartbeat Setup - Neverfail Heartbeat V5.1.0 features several enhancements to the Setup process. These are mainly aimed at improving robustness and flexibility when cloning the Primary server to the Secondary server, by providing more checks on network configuration settings and better feedback on the exit status of the backup operation.
- Neverfail Heartbeat Management Client - The Neverfail Heartbeat Management Client has some minor improvements in stability and usability. In addition, the updated Java Runtime Environment (JRE) resolves the 'glass-out' issue reported for a number of Java applications running under Windows Vista, where launching the Java application would temporarily disable the Windows Aero desktop, and Windows Flip 3D navigation features.
This issue is discussed in Knowledgebase article #1041 - 'Neverfail Heartbeat Management Client Deployment on a Client Machine Running Windows Vista 32-bit Version' in respect to Neverfail Heartbeat V4.5 to V5.0.x. The updated JRE bundled with Heartbeat V5.1.0 fixes the display issues discussed in that article.
Technical Documents supporting this version of Neverfail Heartbeat are contained in Knowledgebase article #1143 - 'V5.1[.n] Neverfail Heartbeat Technical Documentation'.
Installation instructions are found in Neverfail Heartbeat - Technical Documentation - Reference Guide V5.1 .
Upgrading to Neverfail Heartbeat V5.1.1
The 32-bit version of this release includes a Service Pack for upgrading from Neverfail Heartbeat V4.6.x, V4.7.x and V5.0.x to V5.1.0. See Knowledgebase article #1133 - 'How to Upgrade to Neverfail Heartbeat V5.1.0' for details.
Neverfail Heartbeat V5.1.0