About Neverfail for Lotus Domino Plug-in
The Neverfail for Lotus Domino Plug-in is an add-on to Neverfail Heartbeat, which provides protection for Lotus Domino. It configures Neverfail Heartbeat to protect the files and registry items used by Lotus Domino and also monitors aspects of the application and its environment that could affect availability.Supported Versions of Lotus Domino
For information about which versions of Lotus Domino and Service Packs are supported, please see Knowledgebase article #4 - 'Neverfail Products and Versions'.
x86 Platform (32-bit hardware)
- Lotus Domino V6.5 on Windows 2000 SP4 & Windows 2003 SP1
- Lotus Domino V7.0 on Windows 2000 SP4 & Windows 2003 SP1
- Lotus Domino V8.0 on Windows 2000 SP4 & Windows 2003 SP1
- Lotus Domino V8.5 on Windows 2003 SP2
x64 / Intel 64 Platform (64-bit hardware)
- Lotus Domino V8.0.1 (64-bit) on Windows 2003 (64-bit)
- Lotus Domino V8.5 (64-bit) on Windows 2003 (64-bit)
The monitoring of Lotus Domino and its system environment can be broadly categorized into the following three areas:
- Active Server and Service Availability Monitoring, and
- Application and Performance Monitoring
Neverfail for Lotus Domino Plug-in provides protection for the Domino Messaging environment ensuring high availability for the email environment. Neverfail for Lotus Domino Plug-in protects the following deployment types: standalone servers (single service and data paths) and partitioned servers (multiple services and data paths). This plug-in protects the Lotus Domino Messaging environment discovered at install time. Please note it does not protect the Lotus Domino Application Server components.
Active Server and Service Availability Monitoring
Neverfail monitors the availability of a server by sending continuous heartbeat signals via the Neverfail Channel to the other server in the pair. The “Yes I am alive” response ensures that not only is the other server powered-up, but also that it is available if needed. The heartbeat signal interval is configurable from the Neverfail Management Client.
During installation of the Neverfail for Lotus Domino Plug-in, Neverfail identifies critical Lotus Domino services and monitors these services as well. Should any of the Lotus Domino services fail, Neverfail can take three consecutive predetermined actions, which can be configured via the Management Client.
Application and Performance Monitoring
Neverfail can monitor general system performance and does so via the Neverfail System Plug-in. For information on monitoring general system performance, please see Neverfail System Plug-in Online Help.
Rules - There are no configurable 'Rules' installed by Neverfail for Lotus Domino Plug-in.
Tasks - The following 'Tasks' are installed by Neverfail for Lotus Domino Plug-in:
- File Filter Discovery
- Protected Services Discovery
- Registry Filter Discovery
This is a list of all services protected by this plug-in. Please note that where a plug-in supports multiple vendor versions, some services may not be present in a particular version.
Note: The Lotus Domino services are particular about service names. The Domino services are created as “Lotus Domino Server (LotusDataPathIdentifier)”, where the LotusDataPathIdentifier is specific to the server partition and the data path. Domino service names may also have been changed by the administrator.
- The Neverfail for Lotus Domino Plug-in will protect all services found in the Service Control Manager database for pathnames that include “notes.ini” and “nserver.exe.”
- The Neverfail for Lotus Domino Plug-in supports the presence of the Single Sign-on Service on the server. Please note that the service will not be included in the protected services list.
When the plug-in is installed, all protected services will be set to manual, unless otherwise stated.
This is a description of the protected data set that was determined at plug-in install time. Please note that exact filters will be based on the configuration of the application plug-in when it was installed.
- All registry data and configuration information
- All the data paths for the services discovered at install time
Automatic Filter Discovery
This plug-in provides an automatic filter discovery component.
- If new partitions are added or removed or if their service name has been modified, the plug-in, via automatic discovery, will detect the changes and protect the new partition or service.
- Neverfail for Lotus Domino Plug-in will also detect changes and protect Domino Transactional Logs automatically.
Unsupported Components or Features
This plug-in does not protect the following application features or components:
Lotus Domino Application Server environment
Neverfail for Lotus Domino Plug-in