vCenter Server Heartbeat does NOT out-of-the-box support teams of NICs but can be configured to support teamed NICs with additional configuration steps when installing with teamed NICs present. Teams of NICs can appear in a large matrix of configurations covering cardinality, manufacturer, management software, load balancing type and fault tolerance type.
If there is a requirement to run vCenter Server Heartbeat on a server that uses teamed NICs, the following procedure should be followed at installation. An exception to this rule are NIC's teamed using Broadcom or HP teaming software on Windows Server 2008 and later. For Windows Server 2008 and later, see
Knowledgebase article 2212
vCenter Server Heartbeat Installation When Using Broadcom NICs or HP NICs With Broadcom Chipset Capable Teaming on Windows Server 2008 and Later
Note: This does not guarantee a successful installation of the full vCenter Server Heartbeat product but should allow installation of the vCenter Server Heartbeat Packet Filter Driver on Teamed NICs.
On the server designated to be the Primary/active server running with teamed NICs:
- Dissolve the NIC team using the vendor supplied software.
- Install vCenter Server Heartbeat including the Packet Filter.
- Check that the Packet Filter is installed on all NICs making sure each public connection has it enabled and each channel connection has it disabled.
- Recreate the teamed NICs using the vendor software supplied.
- Start vCenter Server Heartbeat.
- If you intend to upgrade or uninstall vCenter Server Heartbeat you must first break the NIC team prior upgrading or uninstalling vCenter Server Heartbeat. Failure to break the NIC team prior to upgrading or uninstalling vCenter Server Heartbeat will result in a hung state.
- The NIC team must be broken prior to performing a backup of the System State for restoration to a remote machine .