This Knowledgebase article provides details and a workaround procedure for the situation where Secondary server deployment hangs at Waiting for Secondary VM to complete auto configuration... step and eventually, the Secondary VM deployment operation times-out.
Primary's VM MAC address was configured as Manual (not as recommended, default Automatic). As a consequence, the cloned Secondary had the same manual MAC address. This causes the post-clone Secondary auto-configuration task to fail.
- Secondary server deployment hangs at Waiting for Secondary VM to complete auto configuration... step and eventually operation times-out.
- EMS logs contain following events:
[2017-12-20 08:35:09,653] INFO 7706[TaskExecutor](com.neverfail.webservices.install.config.FirstStartWindowsConfigurationSequencer) - FirstStartWindowsConfigurationSequencer> Found inconsistent MAC addresses, aborting reconfiguration.
[2017-12-20 08:35:09,653] INFO 7706[TaskExecutor](com.neverfail.webservices.install.config.FirstStartWindowsConfigurationSequencer) - FirstStartWindowsConfigurationSequencer> isSourceServer() currentIdentity=PRIMARY, targetIdentity=PRIMARY
Primary VM's network adapters are configured with Manual MAC Addresses prior of cloning the Secondary VM out of it. As a consequence, the cloned Secondary VM's network adapters have the same MAC addresses as those configured on Primary VM. And this causes Secondary VM auto-configuration to fail.
- Shutdown Secondary server
- Reconfigure the Secondary VM Network Adapter(s) with Automatic MAC Address
- Restart Secondary Server => VM will be automatically reconfigured with a new MAC address, hence the reconfiguration task will be automatically started and server will be correctly configured as Secondary/Passive
Note: it is recommended to reconfigure the Primary VM also with Automatic MAC address
Neverfail Continuity Engine v8.1 or newer installations where the following are true:
- Primary target is a VMware VM
- Cloning or Recloning operations are done using the configured vCenter Server