This knowledge base article provides information about the v9.0 release of Neverfail Continuity Engine and all subsequent updates to this release.
Neverfail Continuity Engine 2021 (v9.0) Update 1
The following information applies to the first update of the Neverfail Continuity Engine version 9.0 (Update 1). This information builds upon the release notes for Neverfail Continuity Engine v9.0.
- [EN-4938] - Dark theme UI for Continuity Engine Management Service
- selectable from Light | Dark toggle exposed in the EMS UI's top bar
- [EN-5204] - Portuguese - Brazilian localization for Continuity Engine Management Service UI
- [EN-3628] - Enable/Disable option for injecting Continuity Engine tasks and events in VMware vSphere Client
- configurable via EMS UI's Settings> Configure vCenter Server> I want to view Engine tasks and events in vSphere Client
- [EN-5200] - Engine Management Service UI: Start/Stop replication actions offer now options for starting and stopping the protected applications
- [EN-3025] - Test Alert Reporting exposed in Continuity Engine Management Service UI
- available in EMS UI's Protected server's> Alerts view
- [EN-2958] - EMS UI: Add standby server> Allow Engine deployment wizard for DR instance to override DNS Update credentials requirement
Patch Management Solutions / Technologies supported by Neverfail Continuity Engine's Cozen Passive Node Management
Following Patch Management Solutions / Technologies were validated as supported for interoping with Neverfail Continuity Engine's Cozen Passive Node Management feature:
- Ivanti Endpoint Manager
- [EN-5205] - Portuguese - Brazilian localization for Continuity Engine Management Service Help
- [EN-5144] - EMS UI: Send product feedback fails with internal server error 500
- [EN-5201] - EMS UI: Long EMS hostnames and logged-on user names are not displayed user friendly
- [EN-5208] - EMS UI: Server name not displayed for Data, Tasks, Rules, Shadows, Alerts, Monitoring
- [EN-5237] - EMS UI: Pagination is not refreshed correctly when changing filtering criteria
- [EN-5179] - EMS UI: Protected servers list> Type: Double tooltip when hovering over cluster type icon
- [EN-4920] - EMS UI: IP-address text box 3-dot-format - add paste from clipboard feature
- [EN-5155] - Remove Engine Flash UI
- [EN-5249] - EMS UI: Cannot define inclusion filters when no inclusion filter is already defined
Neverfail Continuity Engine 2021 (v9.0)
The following information applies to the v9.0 release of Neverfail Continuity Engine.
Engine Management Service HTML5 based UI and new user experience
- all features from Adobe Flash based UI are now ported and new additional features were added
- dashboard, server list with aggregated health status
- virtual machine inventory view
- simplified server protection (directly from inventory)
- unified deployment flow for standby servers:
- add a new standby server(s) for HA, DR and Tertiary
- reconstruct broken cluster if a standby server(s) is missing or corrupted
- reconfigure the cluster configuration from a HA or DR pair to Tertiary including where its hosted
- new summary status of protected server including COZEN configuration
- visual replication chain representation for the protected server
- protected applications configuration feature
- new graph representation of protected server data statistics (traffic, queues, WAN compression)
- fast-check, orphaned files and control shutdown configuration features
- disable all rules feature or sponsor rules within the rules tab
- access to how-to video tutorials from EMS UI
Web Services changes
- new functionality for enabling new HTML5 UI and new licensing model integration
- APIs that capture proprietary and OEM sponsor plugins application information into Engine shared data model to be synchronized with the Engine License Service (ELS)
- EMS telemetry feature: fetches managed servers configuration data and sends it daily to ELS
This new Server Protection view allows direct monitoring and configuration of key HA/DR settings from the EMS UI: automated failover, data loss avoidance, split brain avoidance, false failover avoidance and active server isolation.
EMS UI Internationalization
The new internationalization framework enables easy localization of EMS UI to a specific language. Neverfail EMS UI and bundled online help are available in the following languages:
- Chinese Simplified
- Chinese Traditional (Hong Kong)
Engine Licensing Server integration
Google Cloud Platform Support
Microsoft Windows 10 Support
OpenJDK and Apache Tomcat versions
- Neverfail Continuity Engine 9.0 is updated to OpenJDK 126.96.36.1995.
- Neverfail Continuity Engine 9.0 is updated to Apache Tomcat 7.0.107. Following link lists all security vulnerabilities fixed in released versions of Apache Tomcat.
New Software Licensing Model and Upgrade Notes
New in Continuity Engine 2021 is a new licensing model that transitions Engine from a perpetual model to a (SaaS) term and rental model. A new Engine Licensing Service (ELS) was introduced to enable call-home features that power our SaaS based licensing. The new cloud service is free but is required for Term and Rental deployments. For more information on how the licensing works and upgrade notes please read Continuity Engine Licensing Model
New or Updated Plugins
- Neverfail for Progress MOVEit Plugins suite: support for Progress MOVEit 2020.1 suite of products: Automation Server, Transfer Server, Mobile Server, Analytics Agent; Backwards compatible support for MOVEit Central 8.0/8.1 and DMZ 8.1
- Neverfail for Oracle Database Plugin: added support for Oracle Database 11g
- Neverfail for Apache Tomcat Plugin: new plugin adding support for Apache Tomcat 9.x and 8.x servers
- License server procedure is changed to integrate with the new term and rental licensing service.
- Existing license keys are removed during the licensing process if a new license key is successfully applied.
- Bundled SCOPE Data Collector v5.4.0 has upload, download, upgrade check and support requests features disabled.
VMware vCenter Server 7.0 and VMware vCenter Converter 6.2 Support
- Neverfail Engine Management Service API Support for Deployment Using the Latest Versions of VMware vCenter Server 7.0 and VMware vCenter Converter 6.2.
- Neverfail for vSphere Integration Plug-in Support for Interoping with the Latest Versions of VMware vCenter Server 7.0 is coming soon.
Neverfail Continuity Engine 2021 (v9.0) Management Service is compatible with older versions of Continuity Engine (i.e. EMS 9.0 manages correctly CE 6.x/7/x/8.x). However, many of the new features are not supported thus cannot be used in this context. For example, here are the new v9.0 features not supported with CE v8.x:
- Server Monitoring features. This is new in Engine 9.0 and exposes Failover/ Split-brain avoidance / Isolation / Network Monitoring functionality
- Access to unified deployment workflow which includes: Add | Reconstruct | Reconfigure Standby Servers
- Access to the new licensing service (ELS), hence to online licensing process
- Will the HTML5 UI work with my Engine 8.0/8.5 deployments for I don’t have to use FLASH? Yes, but some features as mentioned above will be disabled as they are exclusive to Continuity Engine 2021. However, you will get popup messages asking you to upgrade.
- If I upgrade to Continuity Engine 2021, will my perpetual license cease? Yes, you are accepting SaaS license. requirements outlined in the new EULA for Term and Rental. Neverfail will generate new license authorizations for your current deployment. This means you will need to pay for support to continue software operations yearly or monthly depending on the type of license. Please read carefully the Continuity Engine Licensing Model article.
- Can I upgrade using the Upgrade Wizard from 6.7 to Continuity Engine 2021? Yes, the upgrade wizard is still supported. Keep in mind that Continuity Engine 6.7 and 7.0 are currently End-of-Life (EOL). To ensure organization continued support, we would encourage you to upgrade to the latest version.
- Will Continuity Engine 8.0 and 8.5 EOL soon? Continuity Engine 8.0 will most likely EOL sometime in 2021 but v8.5 will be support for the foreseeable future.
- Can I stay on previous versions of Continuity Engine? Yes, however, previous versions will eventually EOL and you will not be able to take full advantage of the new features of Continuity Engine 2021.
- Can I stay on Engine 8.5 EMS? Yes, but it will not be supported as of January 1st, 2021 due to Adobe Flash EOL.
Patch Management Solutions / Technologies supported by Neverfail Continuity Engine's Cozen Passive Node Management
Installation, Upgrade and Usage Documentation
Restyled and more focused Neverfail Continuity Engine Installation, Usage and Administrators guides.
Supported Deployment Infrastructure
- Server roles/applications for which protection will be installed automatically are:
- SQL Server 2008 SP4, SQL Server 2008 R2 up to SP3, SQL Server 2012 up to SP4, SQL Server 2014 up to SP3, SQL Server 2016 SP2, SQL Server 2017, SQL Server 2019
- Exchange 2010 SP3, Exchange 2013 up CU17, Exchange 2016, Exchange 2019
- ForeFront for Exchange up v10 SP1
- Symantec Mail Security up to v7.9
- SharePoint 2007 SP2, SharePoint 2010 SP2, SharePoint 2013 up to SP1, SharePoint 2016, SharePoint 2019
- Microsoft Office Online Server 2016
- File Server including Windows Server 2019
- Internet Information Server including v10 on Windows Server 2019
- VMware vCenter Server 6.0 up Update 3c, VMware vCenter Server 6.5 up Update 1d, VMware vCenter Server 6.7
- vCenter Server 5.1 Update 2, vCenter Server 5.1 Update 3, vCenter Server 5.5 Update 1a, vCenter Server 5.5 Update 2, vCenter Server 5.5 Update 3, vCenter Server 5.5 Update 3a, and vCenter Server 5.5 Update 3b
- VMware View Composer 5.3, VMware View Composer 6.2.5, VMware View Composer 7.6
- Progress MOVEit Central 8.0/8.1, MOVEit DMZ 8.1, MOVEit 2017, MOVEit 2018, MOVEit 2019.2, MOVEit 2020.0: Automation, Transfer, Mobile Servers, Analytics Agent
- MySQL Server 5.x, 8.x
- MiContact Center Server v9.0, MiContact Center
- Any of the following SolarWinds Orion Network Management components: SolarWinds NPM v12.0.1, v12.1, SolarWinds APE v12.0.1, v12.1, SolarWinds NCM v7.5.1, v7.6, SolarWinds SAM v6.3.0, v6.4, SolarWinds NTA v4.2.1, v4.2.2
- Oracle Database 19c, 18c, 12c, 11g
- Oracle Management Agent v12, v13
- System Center Operations Manager (SCOM) platforms: 2007, 2007 R2, 2012, 2012 R2, 2012, 2019
- Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5 U3 & U4
- Atlassian Confluence 6.x versions
- Atlassian Jira 7.x versions
- PostgreSQL 9.3, 9.4, 9.5, 9.6, 10.x versions
- Apache Tomcat 8.x.x., 9.x.x
- Additional supported plug-ins
- Neverfail CE for Business Application
Neverfail Engine Plug-ins
Note: Detailed information about each plug-in is contained in the plug-in's knowledgebase file that is available by clicking on the link.
Neverfail plug-ins provide protection for specific installed application configuration data, services, and application data files.
The following plug-ins are included in this release of Neverfail Continuity Engine and are installed automatically if the application is present:
Initial installations of Neverfail Continuity Engine Plug-ins must be performed using the Engine Management Service. Subsequent plug-in re-installations and upgrades may be performed using the Applications: Plug-ins tab of the Neverfail Advanced Client. However, Neverfail recommends that any subsequent plug-in repair installations or upgrades to be performed using Engine Management Service.
To manually install a Neverfail Continuity Engine Plugin follow the How to install a Neverfail Continuity Engine Plugin using Advanced Management Client procedure.
- Passwords starting and/or ending with space ( ) character(s) are not supported (EN-3935).
- (Re)cloning limitation: Disconnected Engine cluster after a cloning or recloning action: recloned node is connected to wrong port group. Workaround documented in Neverfail Continuity Engine Cloning and Recloning limitations: disconnected Engine cluster (EN-3354)
- Recloning limitations when Neverfail Engine passive nodes when static routes are configured: these are listed in Neverfail Continuity Engine Recloning limitations when static routes are configured (EN-3355)
- Neverfail Engine Localization limitations: following localized versions of Windows Server targets/topologies are supported for Engine installation: (EN-3221)
- any WS2008R2, WS2012/R2, WS2016 OS domain or workgroup member protected by HA, DR or HA+DR Engine topology having only alphanumeric chars in its hostname and AD domain name
- any WS2008R2, WS2012/R2, WS2016 OS domain or workgroup member protected by HA or DR-with-same-Public-IP Engine topology having only alphanumeric chars in the AD domain name
- Engine Management Service will not uninstall a server with an expired license (EN-1315).
- Affects only vCenter Server 6.x protected by Engine v8.x (or newer) DR deployments with the DR-node configured with different IP address: Managed ESXi hosts appear as disconnected in vCenter Server/vSphere Client after making DR node active. (EN-2042).
- The Neverfail Continuity Engine .msi installer package is sometimes detected as having untrusted publishers (EN-969).
- The FileServer plug-in bundled with Neverfail Continuity Engine v8.5 (or newer) properly replicates DFS namespaces. The DFS Management Client does not load the namespaces correctly each time.
- Affects only MOVEit Central/Automation Server protected by Engine v8.5 (or newer): Local folders specified as source/destination in MOVEit Automation tasks require user-defined filters for protection. (EN-2879)
- Affects only Engine clusters upgraded from Ipswitch Failover 9.0/9.5 to Engine 8.5 (or newer) (when Create and maintain shadows automatically was not enabled): Progress Failover shadows are still visible as restore points in DRM after upgrading to Engine 8.5 (EN-2863)
- Affects only upgrades from Ipswitch Failover 9.0/9.5 to Engine 8.5 (or newer): Some Ipswitch Failover 9.0/9.5 log and configuration files are not deleted when upgrading to Engine 8.5 (EN-2820, EN-2861)
- [Applies to 8.5 (or newer) with Cozen Identity configured] vCenter Inventory passive VMs are not detected as Protected nodes if management name is configured and webservices are stopped on the active. Dashboard's protected servers count in Global Inventory is also impacted. (EN-4647)
- conditions: Cozen name configured AND active server webservices stopped
- result: deployment.location is not available hence the clustername mechanism is used. that makes only the Active server to be reported as protected node (if VM). Passives cannot be determined as vmid is not available
- [CE9.0 HTML5 UI] When extending from pair to trio (add DR to HA pair) Secondary webservices require restart in order to serve (when made active) the updated deployment topology (trio instead of pair). This is known as the webservices are not restarted on S and S is the T's cloning source. (EN-4657)
- impact: only if S is made active before webservices restart: new HTML UI Datacenter info is not accurate on Tertiary. Possible Protected node count is wrong if cozen identity is configured on any of the passives.
- remediation: restart webservices on Secondary/Tertiary
- [AMFx]: User defined sponsor is not persisted in prefs till Engine service is restarted. Thus webservices don't know about it (till restart is done) (EN-4341)
- [CE9.0 HTML5 UI] Active compression type is shown as 'Standard' when there are no passive instances present in the replication chain. Workaround: This issue is purely cosmetic and it will correct itself once there are passive instances present in the replication chain. (EN-4855)
- [CE9.0 HTML5 UI] Data traffic value in serverlist API is not always accurate. (EN-4859)
- [CE9.0 HTML5 UI] Reconstruct pair: transform from pair HA to pair DR> HA cached configuration must be cleaned up before defining new DR config (EN-4915)
- [CE9.0 HTML5 UI] Startup Engine service may experience delay when unreachable nodes are selected for starting the service on. (EN-4949)
- [CE9.0 HTML5 UI] EULA accept is required all the time when Engine service is stopped (even if previously accepted). (EN-4958
- [Websvc]: Shadows> Configure shadows POST has no effect when "isEnabled":false. Consequence: you cannot configure shadow location when automatic shadow is disabled. (EN-4832)
- [Rollback manager]: Invalid path configured by default for shadow location: C:\PROGRAM FILES\NEVERFAIL\\R2\SHADOW\ (EN-4834)
- [EMS UI]: Internet explorer shows old Client version after upgrade. (EN-3223)
- [EMS-UI] - Add file filters: autocomplete patterns not working for sub-folders if root folder string contains unicode chars. (EN-3246)
- Latched Rules should be displayed in the EMS UI with only one "On Failure Action" drop-down field (EN-2023).
- Downloading the Advanced Client from EMS silently fails in Chrome (EN-1836).
- Neverfail Continuity Engine does not allow a user to create a VM (Secondary) server when only a Primary and Tertiary server are present (EN-508).
- If the targets for network monitoring are not configured, the network status shows -1 missed pings (EN-704).
- EMS> Uninstall Engine wizard hangs at "Initial checks succeeded. Performing further validation..". Cause: A Subsequent uninstallation attempt is made from EMS after a previous failed uninstallation wasn't acknowledged (by clicking OK...) from the EMS> Status. Workaround: Restart Neverfail Engine Management Web Services on the EMS Server then login again to Engine Management Services console. (EN-3859)
Engine Management Service
- With SQL Plug-in + SQL 2014 & In-Memory Tables may result in an OFFLINE DB state during "In Recovery" state (EN-329).
- Trying to add a 6.7 pair/trio in EMS UI protected servers list fails with an error.
Workaround: Restart Neverfail Web Services on the active server. (EN-1354)
- Virtual Bytes rule triggered at every check (EN-859).
- The Engine Management Service MSI repair mode fails to operate properly (EN-1389).
- If the Engine is running, a new license is added to the list of licenses. If the Engine is stopped, it replaces the list of licenses (EN-902).
- LogCollector.exe - The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception (EN-2011).
Neverfail Continuity Engine v9.0